PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak...broken bolt on header?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:09 AM

i have a new shorty header comming to me. I hope this doesnt happen when i go to put it in..

Old 05-26-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by sneakypigeons
i have a new shorty header comming to me. I hope this doesnt happen when i go to put it in..
It wouldn't hurt to spray some good quality, penetrating oil on the bolts about a half hour before starting the job.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 AM

^ i was thinking the same thing.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:18 PM

Anytime you "break a bolt loose", it should start moving with less resistance... Steel bolts in aluminum can cause a problem, however if you feel the same resistance after you break it loose, start "rocking" the bolt,(turn it back in a bit, then out, then in, then out a little more, then back in, then out a little more, then in, then out a little more...etc...using lots of penetrants along the way... I use PB BLASTER) until you feel the bolt "free" enough to back it all the way out with little resistance.. Patience is the key! Take your time getting those bolts out to save much more time & money extracting them.
GL

Old 05-26-2013, 04:20 PM

Mine was broke off before, and the only way I found out was putting a header in.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:34 PM

drill the bolt on center all the way through, with a bit smaller than the bolt, then soak with pb blaster and use an extractor to remove. If it still wont come out, drill it the size of the bolt, then tap and helicoil.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 AM

you would have thought by now that there would be a better option then putting a steel bolt in an aluminum head. maybe some anti sieze on there? i guess they never suspected people to remove the manifold.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 AM

SKEETER , did you see a significant power gain with the header on?

Old 05-27-2013, 06:32 PM

you would have thought by now that there would be a better option then putting a steel bolt in an aluminum head. maybe some anti sieze on there? i guess they never suspected people to remove the manifold.
There is, and always has been: Studs & Nuts... That way, there is no need to remove the steel threads from the aluminum heads.

ARP makes a stainless steel stud & nut kit.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 PM

SKEETER , did you see a significant power gain with the header on?

I used a stock replacement because I already had a cat-back exhaust. The long tubes make more power, but I didn't notice any substance increase in the seat of my pants. All of my mods as a whole made my 3.5L come alive.

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak...broken bolt on header?