Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Exhaust leak...broken bolt on header? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/exhaust-leak-broken-bolt-header-30856/)

bruceg 05-24-2013 11:50 AM

Exhaust leak...broken bolt on header?

I brought my truck to the exhaust shop today to get him to locate/fix a leak.
I went to pick it up just now and he told me one of the bolts on the header is broken and that's where it's leaking. He said he couldn't fix it. Is this not a fixable issue? Do I just have to live with this annoying leak forever?

sneakypigeons 05-24-2013 12:11 PM

you should be able to drill it out and remove it. there is a kit for removing bolts with the heads stripped or broken off.

bruceg 05-24-2013 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by sneakypigeons (Post 297877)
you should be able to drill it out and remove it. there is a kit for removing bolts with the heads stripped or broken off.

There's actually enough room to get in there with a drill and drill a bolt out???
I'm really not trying to take out the motor for an exhaust leak. He told me it's one of the last bolts all the way to the back by the firewall.

sneakypigeons 05-24-2013 02:01 PM

not sure if there enough room to get a drill in there. maybe a air powered die grinder would fit. you could fix a drill bit onto that i suppose.

happythree 05-24-2013 02:04 PM

takes skill,patience and , mostly luck.
you may need to pull the exhaust manifold to do it if its flush with the outside of of the manifold. you can get it with vice grips,and luck!.its very hard to actually drill a hole in a bolt straight enuf. if you hit the aluminum block your troubles will get bigger.
if you're not good at it its time to ask a real parts store if they know of a real mechanic who does special odd jobs well. hard to find...

of course a muffler shop is supposed to have this skill!!

bruceg 05-24-2013 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by happythree (Post 297887)

My thoughts as well! And generally this guy is top notch! My dad seems to think we'll have to pull the whole damn manifold off to do it. :(
Guess we'll look at it over the weekend and see.

hummerz 05-24-2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by happythree (Post 297887)
takes skill,patience and , mostly luck.
you may need to pull the exhaust manifold to do it if its flush with the outside of of the manifold. you can get it with vice grips,and luck!.its very hard to actually drill a hole in a bolt straight enuf. if you hit the aluminum block your troubles will get bigger.
if you're not good at it its time to ask a real parts store if they know of a real mechanic who does special odd jobs well. hard to find...

Yes, Skill and patience is the key!

I've managed a few muffler shops over my career...

Back in the 80's, I had mechanics that could custom bend duals for anything, along with removing broken studs from manifolds(sometimes I had to jump in with the torch and blow them out, while leaving all the threads)..

The muffler shops I managed in the 80's advertised exhaust, suspension and brakes, however I had my mechanics changing engines and transmissions + performing many other "unadvertised" repairs successfully .

TIMES HAVE CHANGED!

Within the last decade, I managed a couple different muffler shops,
Hardly NO mechanical ability at all! The muffler shops are becoming extinct, so the owners can NOT offer top pay for good quality help!
Mostly backyard mechanics or kids out of trade school, earning minimum wage..

Try fixing yourself, if not, take it to a "Full service auto repair center"
GL

skeeter 05-25-2013 08:58 AM

The reason no one wants to remove broken bolts in the head from the manifold is the fact that the bolts are steel and the head is aluminum. I have the same issue and I have figured that the only way to be sure you don't screw up a head is to remove the head and drill it out.

I have decided that I will live with mine unless it makes to much noise and I can't stand the noise anymore.

bruceg 05-25-2013 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 297901)

I have decided that I will live with mine unless it makes to much noise and I can't stand the noise anymore.

The problem is you're only going to be ab;e to "live with it" for so long. After some time, the exhaust is going to blow the gasket out more and more and the tiny leak you have now is going to be a very big leak later.

skeeter 05-25-2013 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by bruceg (Post 297903)
The problem is you're only going to be ab;e to "live with it" for so long. After some time, the exhaust is going to blow the gasket out more and more and the tiny leak you have now is going to be a very big leak later.

I know that issue, but I can deal with that over pulling the head which has dual overhead cams