PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Engine Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:25 AM

Where are you located?

Old 04-18-2010, 12:03 PM

Michigan.
You would be responsible for shipping both ways. Typically cost 300$ to 500$ to ship a vehicle from FL to MI to give you a idea. Would have to find out when we can get you in, how long you will be without your truck and all the scheduling details like that. I may be able to deliver it back, see what the insurance company says. Shipping is based on gas prices too so it's something where doing it at the end of summer or the winter you may save 400$ to 1000$ just in shipping over doing it in the middle of June. Theres also little mom and pop shipping companies too. Could also be something where we get it all set up ahead and you drive in and stay a few days then drive it home. You could hang out and watch it get done which would be cool I think. I'm sure I can get you a very accurate quote, I saw the paperwork from the other H3 swaps they did so they could figure out time based on that. Im sure they would do a 6.0L since they did it before but I would stick with the 5.3L since that is a stock application and finding parts 10 years from now maybe easier.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:12 PM

I'm thinking 5.3L b/c I can keep the same tranny, finding parts would be easier, and it's cheaper. Any idea on a ballpark price (without shipping)?

Old 04-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by ShirtaDay.com
I'm thinking 5.3L b/c I can keep the same tranny, finding parts would be easier, and it's cheaper. Any idea on a ballpark price (without shipping)?
I can't honestly say and I don't want to mislead you in anyway. I was thinking about it writing that last reply. The motor would be around 2000$ since it wouldn't be getting crated and shipped.

The rest here is just a guess-
The harness's you need I would get to you at cost, they would have to be new maybe 500$ to 1000$. PCM I sell for less than 150$, may be able to get it free since your spending 2000$ on the motor. I know the flash licence cost 100$ just to buy your vin number for the turner and theres no way around that, have to keep it legal. Say lines and hoses and mounts and such is another 500$. The flash itself would be 100$ to 250$. Then labor I would guess would equal the cost of the parts. I'm guessing it would be under 10,000$, could be much less, could be much more, thats just my educated guess. With labor things like that are hard to put a number on. The place I have install lift kits had this H2 that I sent to them. Fabtech install should had been less than 16 hours (2 days). Ended up costing him a week of labor because the yolk on his t-case was rusted on and they had to do all this extra work. With custom work you always have to buffer in and assume extra cost which is very very hard to do. Thats why most places won't do cash work because if it take longer and cost more they have the money sitting there. Unfortunately many shops exploit this and over charge without taking the on extra time.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by theBroken
I can't honestly say and I don't want to mislead you in anyway. I was thinking about it writing that last reply. The motor would be around 2000$ since it wouldn't be getting crated and shipped.

The rest here is just a guess-
The harness's you need I would get to you at cost, they would have to be new maybe 500$ to 1000$. PCM I sell for less than 150$, may be able to get it free since your spending 2000$ on the motor. I know the flash licence cost 100$ just to buy your vin number for the turner and theres no way around that, have to keep it legal. Say lines and hoses and mounts and such is another 500$. The flash itself would be 100$ to 250$. Then labor I would guess would equal the cost of the parts. I'm guessing it would be under 10,000$, could be much less, could be much more, thats just my educated guess. With labor things like that are hard to put a number on. The place I have install lift kits had this H2 that I sent to them. Fabtech install should had been less than 16 hours (2 days). Ended up costing him a week of labor because the yolk on his t-case was rusted on and they had to do all this extra work. With custom work you always have to buffer in and assume extra cost which is very very hard to do. Thats why most places won't do cash work because if it take longer and cost more they have the money sitting there. Unfortunately many shops exploit this and over charge without taking the on extra time.
harness will have to be custom depending on year, and engine options.
This is not that hard to do and alot cheaper than buying a V8 hummer. You should be-able to do this for about 5 grand if you shop around a bit.

Check this out it is a colorado but, very similar, and based off the same platform as the H3. At the end of the thread you will see a list of possible parts needed.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/o...ou-guys-23952/

The trans won't directly bolt up, automatics just have to swap input shafts, bell-housings, torque convertors.

Ma5 manual needs new fly-wheel clutch, advanced adapters bell-housing, trans spacer, and a few mods here and there.

06-07 hummer should use E40 PCM and 24x ignition motor.
08-12 hummer could use E67 and a 58x ignition motor.

You can go either way, but sticking with the above rule is the easiest.
in 08 hummer changed the fire wall, and frame rails for the V8 making room for a truck style intake. The older models will work still, just use the car style intake manifold.

Current performance, makes engine mounts (called colorado LSX mounts) should also work on the H3 hummer.

I offer wiring harness, etc

Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 AM

First, welcome! So you know how to modify the oil pan to get a V8 into an I5 h3??? Oh, and you know about the clearance issuse with the front driveshaft too???

You are WRONG! H3/H3T Platform is GMT 345s. The Colorado and Canyon are GMT 355s. I have nothing bad to say about the 355s, personally I have owned 3 of them in the past.

H3s only share 10% of any off the shelf GM parts. You may want to do some research before throwing out blanket statements.
-Engine, Trans and a few other parts are "similar" then the difference begins.
-Our frames aree boxed with different crossmembers and assed crossmembers
-We use mostly 1/2 ton running gear
-Etc, Etc, Etc

Oh, and the H3 rear diffs are open, unless they are Adventure/OffRoad package vehicles which have an Eton Electronic locker. I5s have 4:56s and Alphas (V8s) have 4:10 gears

So it looks like you are trying to "sell" us some engine swap wiring harnesses. Hmmm, you don't know the differences between the GMT 345s and the GMT 355s but you know all about what will fit and work properly????????

Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
First, welcome! So you know how to modify the oil pan to get a V8 into an I5 h3??? Oh, and you know about the clearance issuse with the front driveshaft too???

You are WRONG! H3/H3T Platform is GMT 345s. The Colorado and Canyon are GMT 355s. I have nothing bad to say about the 355s, personally I have owned 3 of them in the past.

H3s only share 10% of any off the shelf GM parts. You may want to do some research before throwing out blanket statements.
-Engine, Trans and a few other parts are "similar" then the difference begins.
-Our frames aree boxed with different crossmembers and assed crossmembers
-We use mostly 1/2 ton running gear
-Etc, Etc, Etc

Oh, and the H3 rear diffs are open, unless they are Adventure/OffRoad package vehicles which have an Eton Electronic locker. I5s have 4:56s and Alphas (V8s) have 4:10 gears

So it looks like you are trying to "sell" us some engine swap wiring harnesses. Hmmm, you don't know the differences between the GMT 345s and the GMT 355s but you know all about what will fit and work properly????????

Please tell me how to edit a posting?? I would like to remove anywhere were it says I can build you a harness.

If a Mod does this than, I would depreciate leaving up the other info, as it is useful to people, and does not benefit, me in anyway!

Also I removed the words in my sig, until someone let's me know if that is ok or not! Again sorry, and no need to nail be to the wall I honestly didn't mean to upset the apple cart, and offend you Tainter! My name is Jamie, and maybe you will forgive me, and teach me all I want to know about 345, some day!!

The 345s as I have so graciously learned from.. you!!! And you have certainly rubbed it in!! Are similar enough wiring wise..at least engine wise, that yes I can build a wiring harness! You obviously can't just take a harness meant for a COLORADO SWAP and install it on a 345 hummer!!

Sorry I don't know every exact mechanical difference, from a Colorado to a H3!!!

"So you know how to modify the oil pan to get a V8 into an I5 h3??? Oh, and you know about the clearance issuse with the front driveshaft too???" never said I did (I will wispier that the LH8 pan will most likely work, on hopes that you don't crucify me!)

"Oh and you can buy an Alpha for less than the $5000 engine swap difference." Maybe true I was just laying the options out there, perhaps "JOE" has spent 25,000 in wheels stereo upgrade, and 10,000 in custom paint. Now it is a little bit more worth it to swap in a V8

Maybe someone wants to build a custom high performance, motor..like a 6.0 or 7.0L then there is no point getting a factory V8 to, do that to!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:33 PM

You came on here to sell your wares, all I am doing is pointing out what your motives are and also pointing out for my fellow HUMMER owners what little knowledge you have regarding our platform and/or vehicle differences. This way my fellow forum members know what they are getting into when dealing with you.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
You came on here to sell your wares, all I am doing is pointing out what your motives are and also pointing out for my fellow HUMMER owners what little knowledge you have regarding our platform and/or vehicle differences. This way my fellow forum members know what they are getting into when dealing with you.

Yes it clearly looks that way, I didn't mean to "force" my stuff on anyone.

I also came here to make friends, but wound up making enemies, and severely, cluttering up your board! I am sorry, and wish I could reverse the situation!