PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Engine "Skip" at Start Up and Idle...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Default Engine "Skip" at Start Up and Idle...

This is my first post but I was hoping someone would have some advice for the small issue we are having with our H3.

Last month we had the head replaced due to low compression in cylinders 1 and 5 (as many others did with the early '06s). Used a garage that both my company and coworkers have used for years (I took all our vehicles there for almost 7 years) so I have the confidence they completed the work correctly.

The head was replace approximately 1 week before I relocated from Greensboro, NC to Salt Lake City, UT. We drove the vehicle the week before in both and city and interstate driving...no problems at all. Since it was a 2,000 mile, 4 day drive we split it up into 4 segments. We left NC and made our first fuel stop in Knoxville, TN. When we started the engine, it appeared to skip twice before we left the station. Drove all the way to Nashville...no problems. Next morning started it up and the engine skipped about 5 times...stopped for gas...started it back up and no problems. This happened on and off after stops for the next 1500 miles. It continues to happen on and off here when starting...whether the engine is cold or warm. No check engine light and no problems driving it (hell...we've driven it almost 2,000 miles now since leaving NC).

I thought maybe we got a batch of bad gas in Knoxville but could bad gas linger this long? Could it be just a plug going bad (I had the shop replace them during the rebuild)? Coil pack? Since it battery was disconnected for a time, could the computer have reset itself?

The inconsistency is what makes this difficult to figure out. I know what the engine felt like when the head went bad...this is different and it never did it before...until we made that first stop.

Any thoughts or assistance would be most appreciated.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:17 AM

Get access to a scan tool and see if it is throwing any codes. If you have Onstar they may be able to do the same. I like your username. Let's go Hokies! Good luck.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Battery or no battery, the PCM stores the last 300 ignition cycles, so that is not an issue.

What plugs did the shop use? With the I5s it is very important to stick with OEM direct replacement plugs.

Make sure the wiring to all of the 5 coil on plug packs is not rubbing anything and the connectors are snapped on properly.

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 PM

No codes were thrown. I will check the plugs and packs tomorrow.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 PM

I checked the packs...they all looked good and were connected properly. I made certain they were tightened down securely (#5 wasn't as snug as the others but it wasn't like it was loose either).

I also spoke with a friend and he suggested cleaning the mass airflow sensor and replacing the air filter. The filter didn't look too bad but I went ahead and replaced it along with cleaning the sensor.

I finished everything on Saturday and as of this evening, I haven't seen any issues. Maybe it was the sensor or maybe a connector just wasn't exactly right when I checked them out.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 PM

Update...

The problem started up again...much much worse than last time this morning. We don't even have to drive the vehicle, just start it up and the engine skips. Not sure how it could go 3 days with no problems to now something worse than before.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:27 PM

Dealing with the same issue with my 06. But mine is to the point that it is not very drive-able. Did some messing with it yesterday. Pulled TB and inspected and cleaned (it was in great shape), checked the whole intake system for vacuum leaks all looked great. Reassembled and took her for a drive, same issues, runs fine if you can get it to go from the stop sign, but idle is rough and stumbles hard from a stop. Ran compression test after the short drive all 5 up over 200 psi. Fuel pressure good. New MAF. No codes. But I did notice when I pulled it in the garage a had a strong gas odor when I shut it down and re inspected the intake system. I am thinking a injector is bad in my case, node signal is good to all five, just think I might have one sticking. Other things that I have found: When running fuel injector cleaner (Techtron) she runs great, have not used it in the last few tanks. Also when I shut the vehicle off I get a little pop out of the intake (4 out of 5 times). I am going to put in a new set of injectors and plugs next weekend, along with reseal the intake and see what happens.
Will keep you a breast of the out come. Pete

Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 PM

Appreciate the update. Unfortunately I have to take it to the shop as I will be traveling soon and the vehicle is needed here. I'm not happy about it but I really don't have much of a choice at this point.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by H3Hokie
Appreciate the update. Unfortunately I have to take it to the shop as I will be traveling soon and the vehicle is needed here. I'm not happy about it but I really don't have much of a choice at this point.
Be sure the give them the history of the head replacement. Could be related. Maybe somone on the forum can recommed a good dealer in Salt Lake. Good Luck.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Default Update on Hesitation

Well pulled things down this weekend. 2 hours of pulling battery box, harness's, fuel lines, alternator, tire, wheel well and intake. Not that bad of a job. One thing I noticed after getting some stuff out of the way, I was able to wiggle my intake manifold (have not pulled any bolts yet). Further investigation I found the first 3 manifold bolt were half way out (gas smell on shutdown, lean bank one code?). Once I started to remove the remaining bolts it only took my socket in hand to do so, they were all loose. Pulled the intake, all seals were in place but very sooty. Figured I have new injectors in hand, so what the hell mine as well replace them, I am already there (plus I have 104,000 mile on it). Cleaned all ports lubed injectors and installed, then installed the rest all in the reverse order. The little truck never ran better and no codes!
Highly suggest that everyone go give your intake manifold a wiggle, it will move a little, but should not move excessively. Bolts are a little work to get at but a check on them would be a good idea if you are having any Bank One Lean Codes or hesitation of idle issues. Wish I took photos for you all but once I dug in I was committed. Pete

Quick Reply: Engine "Skip" at Start Up and Idle...