PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problems from rain...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Default Class action lawsuit

I think those of us that are having all of these problems, which I believe are a direct result of the poorly designed and leaking sunroof, should band together and sue GM for this. It's a f**king crock that you should have to pay upwards of 30 to 40 grand for a vehicle and have to deal with all of these electrical problems because they couldn't design sunroof drainage properly . . . who's with me?

Here is a list of the problems I've encountered with my H3:
1. OEM battery exploded inside engine compartment
2. Sunroof drains clogged and not fixed right by dealer(problem returned 6 months later)
3. Radio has gone out and come back on twice(water related)
4. Keyless entry quit working(still addressing this, BCM bad from water?)
5. After cleaning both front sunroof drains myself and testing that they drain outside the vehicle, water still comes into the driver's side floor board, drips in by the parking brake pedal
6. Parked on an angle(forward and to the right) wanting to test cleaned front right drain tube in rain storm and had water on pass frt floor board for the first time ever which was probably the cause for #4
7. Had the burnt out blower motor wiring connector problem, repaired myself by bypassing the burnt wire on the connector.

P.S.--I'd sue those f**king unions too, since they are the primary reason why GM turned into a $hit company, forcing them to take shortcuts in manufacturing and design. GM used to produce the best vehicles in the world, now, some of the worst, but hey, at least the union labor gets $25-$35/hour to snap plastic parts in and that's all that really matters, isn't it? If any of you union lackeys out there don't like it, F**K OFF and cry to someone who cares.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Default 2 hummers,flawless

ive driven a used h3 and a new one each about 35000 miles.
I add gas,and change oil. so far, at 36000 on the new one, flawless performance,zero problems.
the used o7 was a lease,unmodded truck. the new h3 is stock, unmessed with!
treat em right...

Old 07-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Default Jackass

Yeah, because I beat the $hit out of mine, no, the hor$e$hit sunroof is the main problem and wtf does a battery exploding have to do with treating it right? Tool . . .

Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by chritch23
Yeah, because I beat the $hit out of mine, no, the hor$e$hit sunroof is the main problem and wtf does a battery exploding have to do with treating it right? Tool . . .
Exploding battery? Seriously? Did your ride look like this when it happened? That's what happens when a battery explodes!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 AM

No, battery acid was all over the engine compartment though . . .

Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 PM

I have not had any problems with speakers or new head unit since they were replaced. It has rained hard multiple times since that as well. Haven't seen any water in the truck. The rain making the speakers go out previously will remain a mystery. If it ever reoccurs or any water damage occurs to my new speakers I will update this thread again. I had looked relentlessly under the dash with a flash light and never saw any water. I don't think it's the grommets either. So honestly I don't know what the rain variable was doing. I haven't gotten around to removing the X's yet and haven't had any water leaks so far since I've had it, currently just hit 60k miles

Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by chritch23
3. Radio has gone out and come back on twice(water related)
Where did the water come in from when this happened?
Did it go behind the dash board? (if so where from?)
Or just come from the ceiling/on the floor mats?

My stereo/speakers kept going out every time it rained, but ever since I replaced the head unit and speakers it has worked fine through many rain storms, wondering if my issue was just a coincidence as I've never seen water inside the truck or on the floor.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Default Speakers not working

Mine was doing the same thing. They first started acting up before I had any leak issues but was told one of the speakers was blown then when I started having the water issues coming into the car they told me all of my speakers were blown. I guess since I am a female they thought I wouldn't know anything about cars well guess again. I advised them the same thing you did that once the rain stopped and it dried out or when I turned the AC on as cold as it would go and get it very cold in the vehicle they would work. The dealership thought I was crazy, until oneday they were not working again and I decided I would turn on the ac and low and behold they started working again so I drove straight to the dealership and ask if all my speakers were blown how were they working now.

They took the car straight into the shop and gave me a loaner. Hummer told me that there was something that had gotten wet and was getting hot so when it dried out and got really cold it would work. They replaced all 4 of my speakers and the the scensor on the back of the radio and now they are all working at least for the time being and I only had to pay my deductible because I stayed on them about what was going on.

I would file a complaint with GM and at least let them have it on file. Good luck getting your issues worked out.

Originally Posted by hummer_on_fumes
I have had an ongoing issue where my speakers would stop working every time it rains. If it dried out for a couple days some of the speakers would come back on. I took it to a car audio place and they said both front door speakers had water damage and the head unit was bad. They could not see any rust or water damage to the head unit or in the dash board area. I do have a sun roof, but I have never had any water leak inside the car, never on the carpets, seats, floor boards, on-star mic, sun roof, nothing. Is it possible that some how the head unit got water damage? I have tried spraying a hose over the car for over 10 minutes and the speakers never go out, it's only when it rains. I'm worried that my new speakers and head unit are going to be damaged again by rain. I am really at a loss as to why the rain makes the speakers go out as I can never find any water any where on the inside of the car! I have tested the drain tubes in the sun roof by pouring water in them and they seem to be draining properly, never see any leaks inside during the test. PLEASE HELP! It happens every time it rains so it seems like it's too much to be a coincidence and the head unit didn't just go bad from being old.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:21 PM

I had purchased this used H3 2008 with 53k on it and it was a good H3 for the first 6 months but everytime it rained it would have a poodle of water on drivers side under brake and gas controls. It was a pain because it rains a lot in SC. I'd have to push the water out of the floor board. I was ok for about 3 months and i had the problem with the resistor pack too. Any way i never thought the fan/resistor issue was related to the water since i never seen water on that side. However, it started to just not start. it was getting some controller wet and flat out would not start. first trip to dealership was new battery next day same issue like i said it rains here. After reading all the threads here about the rain issues. It took it in and told the manager that the groument was clogged on the driver side and said check the other side too. I told them the fix the forum users were suggesting. But the PM maintance guy in me is GM put them there for a reason. My line of thinking is the groument catches the crap so you can easily clean it out. It cost me about $100 to clean both out but i have not had any issues since and it's been 6 months now. I could not see where to clean them out. I'm now 55 and don't bend so good any more! the water was comming in thru on-star speaker once the the drain tube would fill up. I park on a downward slant and it drains from the two front drains. There are two in the rear as well! I could see if the passenger side was clogged it could take out the resistor pack. good luck guys. I love my H3! I want an H3T 2010!

Last edited by shooter25; 08-13-2013 at 06:24 PM.