PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problems from rain...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Default Electrical problems from rain...

Don't know why this is doing this now. I've been in heavier rain and never had leaks. Parked inside last night. Drive about 100 miles today in fairly heavy rain. After about an hour, I noticed the passenger front floorboard was wet. That bothered me, but at the time, the visible water was the only issue. Shortly after that, the Passlock light came on. Now this evening when I started my truck, at first I noticed that I had no dash lights although the gauges still worked. The stereo/nav worked but it was resetting itself every few minutes. After a bit, I noticed my DIC cycled through all the settings and all of the cluster icons lit up. Right after that, the gauge lights came on but the gauges and the DIC all quit working. Now I have nothing at all... No gauges, no DIC, no stereo/nav.. And worst of all, for about 10 minutes the truck wouldn't start. No click no nothing. I just tried it and it did start...

So my questions are, where is the most likely place to find a leak. It doesn't appear to be the sunroof or passenger window. Nothing has hit the windshield, or any other part of the truck. I've been driving in rain for days without a leak or issue. Secondly, will these electrical gremlins likely dry out or am I screwed? If I am screwed, where would I start trying to get back to unscrewed? Thanks.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:29 PM

New problem. Truck did start but it doesn't seem to know it. Shifter is locked and won't come out of park. And key won't come out of ignition. Not a huge problem if I were home, but I'm sitting at a gas pump at a truck stop.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 PM

Ok... A little more reading makes me think my problem is not Passlock even though that is the only light on the dash that comes on. From what I am reading, Passlock cuts off the fuel so the engine should turn over but not start. Mine won't do anything... Well, most times it won't do anything. Periodically it starts but the shifter is locked and won't come out of park. I'm confused.. Worse. I'm confused at a truck stop on a rainy night!

Old 01-01-2013, 11:42 PM

Ok... Finally got away from the truck stop. Home now and will try further to diagnose tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who put one thought into these electrical gremlins I am having. If you have any thoughts, feel free to share.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 AM

My guess for the water is the sunroof leaking. If The grommets aren't hooked up good where it goes through firewall it will drain on The pass side floor. If they are plugged they can run out over the tray and go nearly anywhere up under the headliner till it finds a way out. Hope it helps.
Dunno about the gremlins cuz i got my own... Drivers window and power looks. Also crappy battery i would say..

Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 AM

A little better today. I disconnected the battery to clear the codes. Left it unhooked all night and charged the battery too. All the electronics in he dash are working again. Someone suggested that the water might just be coincidence... Could be bad bater or alternator. Took it to parts store and had them text. The guy sad that the alternator was charging too much. So right now everything s working fine... Except... My windshield wipers go all the time, regardless of where the switch is.. I had to pull the fuse to keep from wearing my wipers and everything.

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM

If the alt is charging too much you should measure voltage. mine never goes over 15 volts and drops down to apx 14.
A quick reading will tell if its over 15, it could be the controller/computer.

Since overcharging could only mean voltage too high, if things quit working , I wonder if there is some over volt detection?/protection?

Last edited by happythree; 01-04-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

This is why I do not have a sunroof.

Your sunroof drains are plugged and/or not connected very well where they pass through the firewall, this then leaks down behind the firewall by the passenger kick plate. Guess what is mounted right where your leak(s) are??????

The BCM, and TCCM is right there next to it. The connections to your BCM are shorteb by water, and you will be lucky if you do not toast the BCM.

The more you try to run it before you dry it out, well that's kinda like turning on the cell phone or lap top after you spill a frosty mug of your favorite ginger ale all over either.

Park it, disconnect the battery, remove the passenger kick plate and pull back some carpet while you are at it. Run a fan (with some heat if possible) pointed at the BCM overnight. Cross fingers and have a beer.

Then investigate the sunroof drains.

Good Luck.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 PM

Thanks happy and Doc. I will do the stuff with the BCM/TCM tomorrow. Thanks for the input. Definitively don't want to be shorting out any high dollar electronics. Does one of those control the wipers?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 AM

Songman,

I'm going through the same thing right now. The symptoms were exactly the same with the electronics. As DocOlds said, it is likely the BCM. I used a hair dryer for about an hour and the truck started right up.

I was able to fix the leak by taking the trim apart to the right of the glove box and on the right roof support. The drain tube was then visible and by reaching in from the small space to the right of the glove box, I determined the tube was disconnected. After 10 minutes of poking around in the dark I was able to find the hole and insert the tube (keep it clean guys).

Next chore is pulling up the carpet and drying it out. Don't be fooled by drying only the surface of the carpet. I have a lot of water under the rubber backed carpet that will not dry out without pulling up the carpet.

Good Luck,
LifeIsGood

Quick Reply: Electrical problems from rain...