PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveline slop

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Default Driveline slop

I know this question has been posted before but I thought I'd refloat it since there are newbs here with new rides.
This is not my first AWD ride but it's a new problem since my last AWD vehicle didn't do it.

Here's the scenerio: While driving I come to a corner, I ease off the gas, turn and get back on the accelerator. As soon as I mash the gasI get the dreaded AWD clunk from whicheverwheel is on the "fast" side of the turn. If I ease into the throttle softly then I can keep the clunk at bay and I don't notice it. But that's not always possible in real world driving.

Question... Does anyone experience this same problem or is it exclusive to my ride?

Old 11-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Default RE: Driveline slop

hmmm haven't noticed that one, sounds like something worth checking on though

Old 11-24-2007, 08:23 PM

I run mine pretty hard. Never noticed that noise, but I did notice that I have a new rattle in the dash today. [:@]

Old 11-24-2007, 11:33 PM

Have not noticed that either. Are you shure it isn't the steering shaft problem? I "feel" it in the pedals when it happens. Usualy under the same conditions you discribed. The only thing is, since the weather has turned colder here in Indiana I haven't noticed it. The dealer checked it outthis weekand couldn't get it to reproduce the noise. Just a thought.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:48 AM

I have had my H3 for about 3 weeks. I have noticed when I stop at a stop sign and do not come to a complete stop then hit the gas there is a clunk feeling in the vehicle. I have not noticed it while going around a corner, but have noticed it when coming upon stop signs in my neighborhood.

Is this normal? or should I have the dealer check this out.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 AM

No, I've had the steering shaft replaced and that took care of 99% of the clunking noises. This one usually happens after a turn but can be replicated by driving about 30, easing up on the gas and stepping moderately hard on the gas. It's like the driveline is playing catch up with the forward motion.My next trip to the dealer I'll mention that to them and see what smoke they can blow up my.....

Old 11-25-2007, 10:24 AM

How many miles do you have on your H3? I noticed the same thing on my last H3 once it had around 25k on it. It's normal.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

No, I've had the steering shaft replaced and that took care of 99% of the clunking noises. This one usually happens after a turn but can be replicated by driving about 30, easing up on the gas and stepping moderately hard on the gas. It's like the driveline is playing catch up with the forward motion.My next trip to the dealer I'll mention that to them and see what smoke they can blow up my.....
I know the 'catch up clunk' that you're talking about -- and some vehicles it's barely noticable. Others I've been in others that it's more obvious, but there's really not much they can do to reduce it. It's probably worth a try to the dealer, in case it's something else.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:12 PM

I only have 5,000 miles on it, practically new but the clunk has been there since jump. My old Explorer did that after about 70,000 miles so I'd expect that from an old worn out truck but not a new one. I'll add that to my list of squawks when I go back to the dealer.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yep there was a prior post on this topic, and yes you can get that "driveline clunk" in GM vehicles, turning can enhance the feel/sound of the clunk in some w/ limited slip type differentials. I have observed it w/ my 3 on occaision, but I try to persuade this brick to move with gental suggestions from my right foot if possible.

Quick Reply: Driveline slop