PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytime Running Lights...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:57 AM

thanks wfturner will do would like to run the lower fog lights like on my h2 don't now why they didn't set the h3 like that

Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Default disable daytime running lights on 2008 h3 ?!?

I have a 2008 Hummer H3 base model and have purchased an HID kit with the bulbs and ballasts.

I cannot get the DRL's to disable. The DRL's keep frying the ballasts and i have tried everything.

I have pulled the DRL fuse #39. the DRL's still function.
I pulled relay #79 that is the DRL relay and the DRL's STILL function

i read that someone else has this strange problem as well. why have fuses when they do nothing ? i am confused and could really use some help.

I have seen some people make DRL killers but i really dont want to spend more money to cut and splice wires, etc....

I did by capacitors that are plug and play that help with HID kits and it worked for a week or so, but now one of my lights are out again and after switching the ballasts back and forth i have concluded it burnt out another ballast on me.

now today, both lights didnt work. but then one does. so its a power issue.

I dont need people to ask why i want them off, or any other stupid replys.

I would just appreciate some help on getting this DRL feature disabled and permanent if need be.

please post or email me with a solution !

thanks guys !

Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 PM

I do want to mention i replaced my fog lights with the very same HID kit and they work perfectly and have not gone out for 3 months now. so it is not the kit, bulbs, ballast, cheap parts, etc.... or any answer like that.

Also, at one point, they both worked, then just one, then I added the capacitors, and both worked fine, and now just one and none sometimes.

It has to be the DRL function as it has been mentioned, but still no one has come up with an answer to turn them off besides to pull the #39 fuse which i did and it did not turn the DRL function off.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM

silly me i do remember when i pulled the fuse and relay and tested the headlights i was in my garage. While it was day time and quite bright with the door open, i guess i was still maybe in a darker than normal outside setting so maybe thats why the lights came on ? i will recheck in the day time and update the post question.

Any idea if the wattage amount also messes with the lighting system? the ballasts I have are at 35 watts.

?

thanks !

Old 05-22-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by mpukr9djsocr3
silly me i do remember when i pulled the fuse and relay and tested the headlights i was in my garage. While it was day time and quite bright with the door open, i guess i was still maybe in a darker than normal outside setting so maybe thats why the lights came on ? i will recheck in the day time and update the post question.

Any idea if the wattage amount also messes with the lighting system? the ballasts I have are at 35 watts.
I can tell that the DRL's may operate on a lower voltage than the regular headlights when you have a factory stock setup. Those HID "kits" do not like that lower voltage and can cause problems with the 35 watt ballasts. You already know this. Contact the company that sold you the "kits' and see if they have had enough complaints to have solved this problem.

I am surprised that pulling fuse #39 did not defeat the DRL function. That is the fuse that controls the circuit when the ignition is in the on (running) position

HID lights have those ballasts to control the voltage to the bulbs. When you turn on your HID lights very high voltage is sent to the bulbs from the ballasts to get the arc started and once the arc is established the voltage comes down to the correct amount for the HID bulb
Bottom line, if you still have fuse #39 installed, that is sending lower voltage to your ballasts and is one of the problems.
Good luck

Last edited by wfturner; 05-23-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM

mpukr9djsocr3-
One last comment. If your garage is even some what darker than outside normal daylight, this can be enough to trigger the headlight sensor.
Park outside of your garage, durning normal daylight and start the vehicle.
If fuse #39 is removed, your DRL's should not come on.
If that is correct then while truck is running, put a dark object over the light sensor on the dash board and wait and see if your headlights come on.
Then, if lights are now on, remove the dark object from the dash and wait and see if the headlights turn off.
That will show that all is working
Hope this made sense ?

Last edited by wfturner; 05-28-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Smile

I did see that the DRLs are no diasbled without the fuse #39 so it does work.

that sensor on the dash is VERY sensitive. I park under a tree in daylight and the lights come on. any bit of shade on the dash and it thinks its night time. UGH. another GM blunder. oh well, at least now i know that pulling that fuse does solve the DRL issue.

I have ordered a new ballast and will replace and hope that everything works fine now that the DRLs are gone.

thanks for the response.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 AM

I did see that the DRLs are no diasbled without the fuse #39 so it does work.

that sensor on the dash is VERY sensitive. I park under a tree in daylight and the lights come on. any bit of shade on the dash and it thinks its night time. UGH. another GM blunder. oh well, at least now i know that pulling that fuse does solve the DRL issue.

I have ordered a new ballast and will replace and hope that everything works fine now that the DRLs are gone.

thanks for the response.
Lets us know, after the new, hopefully last ballast, if that solved your problem

Old 05-25-2012, 04:29 AM

do you or anyone out there know how to swap the drl lights to the lights on the bottom like the h2 I am running hid lights and don't want them on during the day

Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 AM

I have pulled the DRL fuse #39. the DRL's still function.
I pulled relay #79 that is the DRL relay and the DRL's STILL function

i read that someone else has this strange problem as well. why have fuses when they do nothing ? i am confused and could really use some help.
mpukr9djsocr3, I'm glad you got it figured out.

However, for those of you who still can't seem to defeat the DRL by pulling the fuse, just realize that the wiring diagram in your owners manual is upside down when compared to the actual fuse box. I'd make sure that you realize this and to not pull something that you might need, whoops!