PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

new to me '06 SUT today, now low range, or lock etc.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:54 PM
Default new to me '06 SUT today, now low range, or lock etc.

Just picked up my new to me 06 SUT today, took it out this evening to a sandy area to test the transfer case operation and found out it wont go to low range, no lock, no nothing. Seems to work fine on the road in 4 HI, no noise, light on dash stays on, when I try to go to for lock, 4 low anything else, lights on dash flash for a few seconds then go out.

Any thoughts on what this could be? hopefully a simple fix like a actuator, or maybe a fuse? Looks like the warranty that came with it only covers the wet parts of the tranny, transfer case that are oiled.

thanks for any advice, other than this issue, loving the new H2!

Old 04-18-2017, 10:41 PM

You have to make sure you're in neutral to go into 4lo

Old 04-18-2017, 11:09 PM

tried 4 lock or whatever the middle button both with the tranny in gear and in neutral only tried the lower 4 low button with the tranny in neutral. Also when I push the traction control button (?) I guess that what it is, says trac2 or something like that, it just flashes a little bit as well, and the button that does whatever it does with the air suspension just seems to flash a couple of times as well, but to be honest I'm totally new to hummers and don't know what they should to when functioning properly. Since all seem to flash and not stay on I'm concerned it may be some control problem and not just a simple actuator problem.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:41 PM

The Traction Control will only engage with in in 4Hi Lock or 4Lo Lock... The locking rear axle will only engage in 4Lo Lock. The rear air suspension button will raise the rear about 2 inches or so. Must be stopped with all doors closed to activate it. You should hear the compressor running and notice the truck tilting as the back end rises up. Once raised if you exceed like 20 mph it will automatically lower back down.

Try first shifting to 4Hi Lock. Then with the truck rolling about 1 mph shift the transmission (not the transfer case) into neutral and while still rolling then try to set it to 4Lo Lock. Might also work if rolling slowly in reverse too. The transfer case on these is a bit finicky about engaging and disengaging the low range.

Go to the link below and download the Getting To Know and Main manuals.... The getting to know one is a quick easy reference.

https://my.gm.com/learn/2006/H2?make=HUMMER

Last edited by MixManSC; 04-19-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:18 PM

appreciate the links to the manuals, that'll come in handy.

It's at the tranny shop now, talked to dealer I bought it from, he referred me to a shop here in town that I know has a good rep and who to talk to there. The guy put his computer on it that he can send a direct signal to the actuator with and usually force it if it's working, that still didn't work but the same computer says it's sending a signal to the actuator but not throwing a code when the actuator doesn't do it's job which he says is weird so he's still got it troubleshooting the issue. Hopefully the dealer works with me on what the repairs cost, but I guess if he doesn't I've got no one to blame but myself for not taking care of business and making sure it worked before I signed on the bottom line, the vehicle as a whole was just so clean I really didn't think I had anything to worry about.

Originally Posted by MixManSC
The Traction Control will only engage with in in 4Hi Lock or 4Lo Lock... The locking rear axle will only engage in 4Lo Lock. The rear air suspension button will raise the rear about 2 inches or so. Must be stopped with all doors closed to activate it. You should hear the compressor running and notice the truck tilting as the back end rises up. Once raised if you exceed like 20 mph it will automatically lower back down.

Try first shifting to 4Hi Lock. Then with the truck rolling about 1 mph shift the transmission (not the transfer case) into neutral and while still rolling then try to set it to 4Lo Lock. Might also work if rolling slowly in reverse too. The transfer case on these is a bit finicky about engaging and disengaging the low range.

Go to the link below and download the Getting To Know and Main manuals.... The getting to know one is a quick easy reference.

https://my.gm.com/learn/2006/H2?make=HUMMER

Old 04-20-2017, 08:07 PM

turned out to be the actuator motor, or encoder motor whichever you prefer. Dealer paid to install a re manufactured motor, I paid the difference to go back with a new AC Delco not reman, so all happy with my new H2 again!