PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Climate control door slapping

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Default Climate control door slapping

Hi all,
The biggest problem I have had with this vehicle is the climate control. I have completed the resistor fix and done calibration successfully before.
NOW, I get a dead battery, I charge the battery, I start the truck, climate control is in calibration mode all by itself...ok, a minute later after going through its steps I hear a door in the center area flapping...flap...flap...flap. and the led's are blinking and it doesn't stop until I turn the key off. turn the key on again and it starts again. Tried to force it into calibration mode manually and the same thing happens at the end, flap, flap, flap. What is going on here??

Old 05-11-2019, 05:40 PM

Start with battery replacement and NEW QUALITY TERMINALS.
650Hawk explains it here:
Originally Posted by 650Hawk
The stock POS battery terminals are the first thing EVERY H3 owner should replace; NOW, not later. Use stingers, or any other good, solid brand. Those OEM terminals are the cause of many, many H3 seemingly unrelated gremlins since the H3 is extremely sensitive to voltage variations. It's not a matter of :"if" they will fail, it's a matter of "when"...even if they "look" good.
Doc Olds also posted many times the need to change the terminals!

I installed the stingers (SPT55301) 7yrs ago and never a problem:

Last edited by hummerz; 05-11-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:30 PM
Default Still flapping

Thank for the reply, I have now invested $200 for a new Interstate battery and gold terminals...Start the engine and the door flapping starts again, any other ideas where to go next??

Old 05-17-2019, 06:15 PM
Old 05-19-2019, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the video Hummerz, I'm thinking of making one of my own showing the problem I'm having. At least now I know the blend doors are easily accessible. The recalibration procedure you showed is exactly what I do and at the end, one of the doors starts flapping. I don't know what to do next. Is this an electronic problem or mechanical? Should I start pulling off the blend doors and inspect them? I don't know what I'm looking for. Based on the lack of responses, I'm guessing that I'm the only one to have this problem.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:20 PM

The blend door is stuck on something? Could be a dead rodent? You tried adjusting the climate controls? Most likely you will have to take apart and inspect the one making the noise. GL

Old 05-26-2019, 03:36 PM

Success!!
Upon further inspection, I found the malfunctioning actuator was the air temp mix. Removed the actuator and since they are not serviceable and only $20 on Amazon I opted to order one in hopes this was the problem and I didn't want to even think about the trouble it would be to access the door itself for repair.
Well, the part arrived 2 days shipping yesterday, I said a little prayer, crossed my fingers and installed it...and voila, it worked!!! No more door slapping,
Thanks for all the help, I hope my post may help someone else that has this issue come up.

See ya' next emergency.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:43 PM
Talking Success!!!

Upon further inspection I found it to be the air temp mix door making the noise. I removed the actuator and decided I would try replacing it first since it was available from Amazon for $20 and free 2 day shipping.

It arrived yesterday, I said a little prayer and crossed my fingers and I installed it, and it worked!!!! WOO_HOO!!

I didn't even want to think about the trouble of getting to the door itself, glad it was that easy. Thanks for your help and I hope my post may help someone else with a similar problem.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:57 PM

Nice work! Whatever got caught in the blend door, is clear now.