PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate control backlighting going away?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Default Climate control backlighting going away?

Hey, so for a while now I have had no backlight for the middle climate control ****...the fan speed. The temperature and the other one worked fine. Note that all ***** still function, and the orange LED in the center comes on for all of them when you push the center section. Just recently, the same thing happened to the temperature mix ****...no more backlight.

At first I thought I did something when I was messing around with my stereo, but from what I can tell, screwing up the wiring that plugs into that dash piece would have affected all of the backlighting.

Is this a common failure on these trucks? Or am I just the lucky one?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:31 AM

Seems like a common failure. My temp control bulb is also burnt out. If you do a search here you will find a write up that describes how to replace the bulbs yourself using low temp solder. If you find that procedure more involved than you would like to take on be prepared to spend some $$$ as the whole assembly will be replaced by the dealer.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:14 AM

I think my Carmax warranty will cover it for $150. Although to be honest, I'm not too excited about them messing around where I've installed the new head unit. I will search for the write-up, thanks!

Old 10-25-2016, 12:17 PM

I recently accessed and changed out the three HVAC backlight bulbs fairly easily. Just a lot of dainty busy work. The twist in twist out bulbs are on eBay. Better than buying a whole expensive control unit from GM.
A question I have is does anyone know if the rear wiper control **** can be opened up to changed the backlight bulb? Don't want to disassemble if it is impossible. Thanks to anyone for ideas.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by classenigma
I recently accessed and changed out the three HVAC backlight bulbs fairly easily. Just a lot of dainty busy work. The twist in twist out bulbs are on eBay. Better than buying a whole expensive control unit from GM.
A question I have is does anyone know if the rear wiper control **** can be opened up to changed the backlight bulb? Don't want to disassemble if it is impossible. Thanks to anyone for ideas.
I managed to open the control **** and replace the bulb fairly easily but the blue covered bulb in there was a bit longer and a hair wider than the new bulbs I got that fit into the HVAC backlights. Is this a bulb with different specs? The base fits in perfectly but not sure the amperage is correct. Not seeing it lit up yet.