PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Undercarriage Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Default Cleaning Undercarriage Help

I went mudding in my '06 Hummer H3 a few months ago and I still have a lot of dirt on the undercarriage of my car. What is a safe way to clean under it? Can I spray water or will that damage anything. I want to be able to get the undercarriage really clean and nice, without ruining anything. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 PM

Water will be fine! I use a pressure washer on mine and use my 60" hi lift jack to get her a nice belly out angle...

Old 01-07-2012, 10:37 PM
rsc

If you're worried about spraying water up under there then you could get a bucket, brush and soap and scrub it clean.

All you really need is a garden hose with a good nozzle and a little time. Try not to spray too much into the axle seals, cv boots or any wiring connectors. While you're under there take a good look around for any damage and general condition. You're more apt to have damage from the trail than that water hose.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by TSLevin95
I went mudding in my '06 Hummer H3 a few months ago and I still have a lot of dirt on the undercarriage of my car. What is a safe way to clean under it? Can I spray water or will that damage anything. I want to be able to get the undercarriage really clean and nice, without ruining anything. Thanks.
I go to the local do-it-yourself pressure washer
It works very well because of to higher water pressure they use, versus my garden hose
I get down on the ground and have at it
Yes, I end up with wet knees and a clean undercarriage

Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by wfturner
Yur so dirty

Old 01-08-2012, 11:41 AM

First, I get out my home made sprinkler setup with a "Y" fitting so I can run 2. Hook those up to the power washer and let them do their "business" for about 10 minutes them move them around 2-3 more times. Next I get out the car ramps (2 sets) then I pull the offending muddy HUMMER on them and get any of the spots I have not assulted with the sprinklers. Under hood I use Simple Green, tire brushes (long and short handles) and the garden hose. Rattle can on any rust spots.

Looks really good once it's all done. But in the winter I try to stay away from the muddy stuff because I won't do all those steps!

Old 01-08-2012, 05:22 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by wfturner
I go to the local do-it-yourself pressure washer
It works very well because of to higher water pressure they use, versus my garden hose
I guess too many of us yee-haw types have dropped mud all over the car washes so many places won't let you spray down muddy vehicles. I wonder if they are recycling water or if the drains just got plugged up with mud.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:48 PM

I go to tis place called Delta Sonic, if you buy a premium wash you get two free after. They usually frown when you roll in with mud on the vehicle.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by rsc
I guess too many of us yee-haw types have dropped mud all over the car washes so many places won't let you spray down muddy vehicles. I wonder if they are recycling water or if the drains just got plugged up with mud.
I have used my local wash place several times over the years and the manager walking around has never said anything to me.
I may not have as much mud or clay as some other vehicles, maybe that is why he hasn't commented. But you are right, some wash bays I've seen have been a mess.