PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Chrome Wheels Chipping - Plasti Dip Black?

Old 12-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Question Chrome Wheels Chipping - Plasti Dip Black?

At the moment, I'm unable to upgrade my rims; just bought this Black H3 with chrome trim.

I see a lot of photos of Hummers online and the rims appear to be plasti-dipped black or some rough equivalent.

What's your all's advice on changing these to black? Keep the chrome? Plasti Dip black? I've never dealt with Plasti Dip or anything like that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers -

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Wheels Chipping - Plasti Dip Black?-h3.jpg  
Old 12-17-2014, 04:06 PM

My H3 also has chrome trim, I would dip'em in a heart beat if my trim was black. Otherwise it might look a little weird to have black rims with chrome trim unless you dip the trim as well. But if the chipping is really bad then I would say go a head and do it, after all plasti-dip is temporary and not permanent.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:48 PM

Interesting thought there alpine001. Though, part of me wonders if it could look pretty bad *** as it would probably highlight or emphasize the remaining chrome.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:19 PM

if you want something a little more permament and sturdy you could always powdercoat or rechrome

Old 09-25-2018, 08:14 PM
Default carpetman

my 08 h3 has got really bad peeling of the chrome on the ruff areas of the rims was thinking of grinding the flakes off and patiently painting those areas black with V.H.T. or is there some place that exchanges h3 rims thanks.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:41 PM

I saw rechromed H3 wheels on ebay You send them the old wheels after you install the new ones. My 09 chrome wheels are in great shape & I may replace with an aftermarket Black and polished wheel if I do I will most likely post on here for sale

Old 09-25-2018, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mrealm
At the moment, I'm unable to upgrade my rims; just bought this Black H3 with chrome trim.

I see a lot of photos of Hummers online and the rims appear to be plasti-dipped black or some rough equivalent.

What's your all's advice on changing these to black? Keep the chrome? Plasti Dip black? I've never dealt with Plasti Dip or anything like that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers -
With chrome rims you will have a hard time doing any painting. By the time you have the chrome blasted off and get them powder coated you could buy new rims. Plasti dip is a great option and looks pretty good. If you don't like it you can just peel it off, and the cans are only like $5. I plasti dipped my pitted chrome wheels black and they still look awesome over a year later. Just make sure if you do it, you prep everything thoroughly and properly, and do 5-6 or more coats on each wheel. Getting plasti dip to look right is all about the prep work, if you try to half *** it, you'll get horrible results

Old 09-26-2018, 07:14 AM
Cool

The main problem with the peeling chrome is it will continue to peel even if you coat it with something. I had the same problem with my 2007. Eventually they will start leaking air. I wound up finding a set of take off rims that someone on this forum had stored in their garage. Before that I was looking at buying a set of OEM replacement rims from Detroit Wheel. They have them in stock.
https://detroitwheelandtire.com/wta-...SAAEgK-6fD_BwE

Old 09-26-2018, 10:06 AM

I did plasti dip on my chrome front grill and as stated prior its all in the prep. In the case of the grill I had to do a base coat of self etching primer prior to application of the plasti dip.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carpetman
my 08 h3 has got really bad peeling of the chrome on the ruff areas of the rims was thinking of grinding the flakes off and patiently painting those areas black with V.H.T. or is there some place that exchanges h3 rims thanks.
Oh boy, another prospector. Halloween theme for this one.