PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Brakes Using stock Lift Jack

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Default Changing Brakes Using stock Lift Jack

Guys, I posted this in another thread about brake changing but it doesnt look like anyone answers those posts any more.
I am planning to change my own brakes for the first time, well I did some in the early 90s with my uncle when I was in high school.
Can I use the jack that comes with the car and is in the rear door compartment ? I know at one point it was recalled and I got a new replacement but I am not sure if these things are sturdy enough to keep the car up for longer periods of time ?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:57 PM

the stock jack is the first thing i threw out when i got my new truck. i'd put a jack stand under the rig before you get under there in any case. i use 6 ton stands and they are great.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Banned
Default super safe

the ONLY thing i trust holding a vehicle is big blocks of wood.
i save chunks of leftover 6x6 posts,join them with plywood if needed. they NEVER slip or break. i have some oak cut apx 12x12, painted like dice!,25 yrs old and solid.

its all dirt cheap and SAFE

tom

Old 05-20-2010, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
the ONLY thing i trust holding a vehicle is big blocks of wood.
i save chunks of leftover 6x6 posts,join them with plywood if needed. they NEVER slip or break. i have some oak cut apx 12x12, painted like dice!,25 yrs old and solid.

its all dirt cheap and SAFE

tom
When I read this I couldn't stop laughing! I can just imagine what people think when they see a hummer raised up on what looks to be two giant dice lol. As for the topic, I have a 3 ton garage jack with 3 ton jack stands. It was one of the only jacks I found locally that actually had enough lift to take either the front or back off the ground.

Last edited by Tonyg41; 05-20-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 AM

Thanks guys, my problem is I have none of these things and I do not own a home so no garage to keep them. All I can use is what the car came with so are you guys saying I should just have someone do it for me instead and pay the big bucks ? :/

Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM

yes, you can use the stock jack. its not the best jack in the world but it is designed to lift the h3 off the ground and thats all you need. your only doing 1 side at a time anyhow. once you get the truck in the air find somethign solid to put under the truck just in case something slips nad the truck falls. you can get a hydraulic floor jack for $30-$50 and still come out cheaper than paying someone else to repace your pads. just my 2cents

Old 05-21-2010, 04:31 AM

I always put the wheel under the vehicle whenever i have it on a jack and it saved my brake disc one time when the H3 fell off of a highlift jack. I used the car jack when i changed my pads and it was all ok.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by celtichummer
I always put the wheel under the vehicle whenever i have it on a jack and it saved my brake disc one time when the H3 fell off of a highlift jack. I used the car jack when i changed my pads and it was all ok.
Consider yourself lucky that you got off that easy - a blow to the head from a jack handle under load could take you out permanently. There is a big imaginary arc that needs to remain clear at all times when using a Hi-lift.

Last edited by atashashane; 07-10-2010 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:55 PM

So I never actually did this myself as I was missing too many tools. I am getting ready to buy a floor jack now to do the job but based on many reviews I am not sure which can actually lift my car of the ground. Can someone point to a jack that would work? I was still thinking to use the jack that came with the truck but I noticed its missing the handle that you use to crank it up..... I might need to go down to the dealer to ask about this.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Raffi76
So I never actually did this myself as I was missing too many tools. I am getting ready to buy a floor jack now to do the job but based on many reviews I am not sure which can actually lift my car of the ground. Can someone point to a jack that would work? I was still thinking to use the jack that came with the truck but I noticed its missing the handle that you use to crank it up..... I might need to go down to the dealer to ask about this.
Did you take the jack out of the door? You should look closer, it is packed in there and not exposed.

Brakes on the H3 are pretty darn easy on the DIY scale, some vehicles can be a giant PITA.

Floor jack: Sears low profile 4 ton High Lift

Sears.com

Harbor Freight has a bunch, get something that can lift over 15".

Quick Reply: Changing Brakes Using stock Lift Jack