PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Changing the Brake Pads on a 2006 Hummer H3 (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Banned
Default Changing the Brake Pads on a 2006 Hummer H3 (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)

timeless tutorial,usefull yesterday,useful next year,,,gone forever,,,,

what else is a forum 4

theres a ton of junk noone would miss,,,so the good stuff gets junked.

oh well i look forward to the next 4 page thread on "tire question"
now thats vital stuff.

how about killing the alternator out the top next month,,,who needs that "old junk!!"

oh leaky roof,,bring it on

Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 PM

From the other thread... So if the guy that "dug it up" had simply started a new thread such as "How do I change the brakes?" he would have been ripped for not using the search function first. He apparently used the search function to dig it up, found it incomplete, and asked in general for further information, he gets ripped. Yeah that seems reasonable.
Personally if I want information on how to do something I would much rather read through 1 thread with 30 posts that spans 3 years than 30 threads with 1 or 2 posts over the samer timeframe.
But if you want to know where to buy a gas cap, something easily found through a Google search, you get an answer and no lecture. I won't bring up how the responses seem to be gender biased.
Ridiculous.
Perhaps instead of ripping on people who are asking reasonable questions, how about someone figures out how to archive all the important info, like pictures, in a thread?

Last edited by Widespread Hummer; 03-03-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

how about someone figures out how to archive all the important info, like pictures, in a thread?

amen,to all

Old 03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Forum 101.

The idea is to stimulate discussion by current members on current topics, to get a LOT of members involved. Contrary to your beliefs, people who know how to use a forum will not jump in on ancient history threads because they know ridiculous that is! What is the point of asking a question from a member who has been gone for more than 2-3 years?

How many "what size tires will fit?" threads does one place need, when a search would have answered the question????

Go ahead and archive all the old pictures, and start up a new thread on simple topics using the same name as the first thread so the search feature will work that much more brilliantly.
I've only been here 3.5 years, you guys seem to know the history of this place and how it should work better than I, maybe you should apply as moderators and help. This place was brought back from death by 2 moderators, I'm one of them. I'll leave it alone for a while and you can see for yourselves what happens.

Hope you like spam sandwiches and ghost threads. Enjoy.

BTW there is an archive section that asks people not to post in it, and they do it anyway?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
From the other thread... So if the guy that "dug it up" had simply started a new thread such as "How do I change the brakes?" he would have been ripped for not using the search function first. He apparently used the search function to dig it up, found it incomplete, and asked in general for further information, he gets ripped. Yeah that seems reasonable.
Personally if I want information on how to do something I would much rather read through 1 thread with 30 posts that spans 3 years than 30 threads with 1 or 2 posts over the samer timeframe.
But if you want to know where to buy a gas cap, something easily found through a Google search, you get an answer and no lecture. I won't bring up how the responses seem to be gender biased.
Ridiculous.
Perhaps instead of ripping on people who are asking reasonable questions, how about someone figures out how to archive all the important info, like pictures, in a thread?
Thank you for your support.

I am not a newbie to forums and definitely not a newbie to the RTFM concept or to finding information on my own through Google. I have Googled this topic several times, with an immediate hit on a thread that references the one I posted in. I found the thread and then proceeded to search for the referenced thread. Like someone else stated, the information is timeless, whether 2-3 years ago or today. I did my due diligence in finding answers for my questions and made a reasonable request in asking for more from the forum. Is that too difficult? And yes, I agree - I would rather read through 30 posts on a subject that might have 30 posts of relevant information than read one post with 1-2 replies or even worse, no replies.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
I'll leave it alone for a while and you can see for yourselves what happens.

Hope you like spam sandwiches and ghost threads. Enjoy.
AWSOME! Let'em get a taste of a forum w/o good mods.

The "timeless tutorial" is not "gone forever". Anyone can still view it you just can't comment on it? If you read it and have questions, post up those questions and reference the thread and page you have a question about.

Hey, I have an idea. If you extremly intelligent people think you can do a better job take the initative and become a mod! Oh, that's right you just want to whine, cry and bitch about everything and not help to "fix" it. Just like Joe Q. Public, whaaaa, whaaa, whaa ....... but it's not my job!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:43 PM

I admin one forum and moderate on several others. Sad to see this kind of response to people who have legitimate questions. If you lock a thread, it gets burried with time since no new posts can be added. Sure it will show up in a search but (as you have stated) how many people actually use that first.

Doc Olds, instead of getting all bent about people posting in your FAQ thread, why not simply make it "read only" and you can transfer the useful threads (like the brake pad one) there. No posts can be added but it acts as an archive. Beats the heck out of telling folks "I'm going to stop moderating and you'll be sorry."

Just my .02