PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Changing 07 driver side door panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Default Changing 07 driver side door panel

If you own a 06 or 07 H3 then you know where the power window controls are. If you don't... they're right under your elbow. About half way through 07, Hummer switched to the new style so they're easier to access.

Has anyone ever switched a newer style panel with the easier controls in an older style? Do they line up perfectly as far as mounting and wiring? What problems did you have with it?

I'd like to know if it is even possible.
Thanks

Old 12-21-2013, 08:14 PM

you can be pretty sure the plastic changed, not the metal so the inner trim should fit any door.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:13 PM

I have owned trucks with both versions of door panels. I don't think updating to the newer version is worth the effort.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:20 PM

happythree - that's what I was thinking since they changed it mid yr on the 07s. Which would mean that since the metal is changed.. the mounting location for the screws/bolts should be the same...

NJtex - I suppose you do have a point... it's not a huge deal since nobody adjusts the windows up/down more then once or twice a trip. It is just an annoyance that I would be willing to fix if I came across a newer style in a junk yard for cheap... and the wiring all worked well where it was a simple harness that clicked together.

I think the tricky part would be the wiring... Does anyone know if its just a harness that snaps together or if each wire would have to be cut and wired back together?

If it is a harness, is there enough slack to go from one style to the other? (it should only be 6" or so)

Old 12-22-2013, 02:36 PM

connectors?, oh boy! I think they had to invent a new system to number them!!

yes, everthing goes thru a few connectors in an h3. its plug and play.

think about it if they need to be longer,,,the old style would be longer huh.

Last edited by happythree; 12-22-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:40 AM

I seem to recall some guys stating that the 2006/early 2007 wiring harness is too short to reach the controls on the slant and that the connectors are slightly different so you cannot just cut and extend the harness.
I haven't looked at it personally so I can't confirm that.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:35 PM

Curious about this too. having my switches out to change the bulbs they might work. or maybe reroute the wires? iplan on picking up a set of the newer panels. I miss my 08's switch locations.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:41 PM

Update: ok I got some 08+ panels from wayne auto. The wires are long enough. the switches are the same you just need to change them to the 08+ switch mounting panels.
what needs to be changed: the pull handle mounts are in different spots. gm sells the brackets to bolt them up. I ordered them today but didn't have at the time of the swap. So I drilled new holes a relocated the u nut, used a longer bolt and about a 1" thick spacer to line up the bolt hole on the front part of the grab handle. The back mounting point sits over a blank part in the door so there was nothing to attach to.
the mirror switch is the trick part. It's rotated 90 degrees. So up is left down is right etc. even though it unplugs from the main harness gm only shows that harnes for the RHD export models. rather than risk it being wrong i'm just going to repin it.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 PM

Good info! Just ordered a set of panels yesterday. Do you have the part # of those brackets you ordered? If you can post some pics that would be great since I'm sure there will be some other people looking into this now that you've done it.

Ben

Old 05-20-2014, 08:05 PM

Is this thread for the vertically challenged?

Quick Reply: Changing 07 driver side door panel