PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Certified Pre-Owned or Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Default Certified Pre-Owned or Extended Warranty?

Going to buy an 2008 H3 Alpha, less than 25,000 miles at GM Dealership

A lot of warranty left.

I plan to drive it until it dies and then fix it and give it to one of my kids.

1) What is really the difference?
2) Benefit of one over the other?
3) Are either worth it? A lot of warranty left and some small items do not add up to the cost, but a couple large issues do. The H3's are pretty reliable for major things and I have a great mechanic.

First non Chrysler/Jeep vehicle so I do not know much about it and looking to hear comments so I have a good idea of which program or nothing fits me before i get the dealer speech.

I am in Michigan so I don't plan on any heavy off roading..Silver Lake, up north trails and Maybe- Drummond Island. I am more into scenic off roading than sport off roading.

thank you.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:24 PM

The certified pre owned has to be done at the dealer when they first get the car from its original owner or when turned in from its lease. To be certified it has to go through an inspection and then they do a "conditioning process" to restore car to "like new" condition this gives you 6 years or 100k miles whichever comes first after its certified. If the window sticker doesn't indicate its certified then odds are they just did there own inspection and detailing. You can go for a gm protection plan which is a bit more money but I believe the coverage time and options are the same if not more. GM parts and labor are expensive and if your going to run the truck to the ground the extended warranty is worth it. Just like they say in life if things can go wrong they will. Best of luck.