PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the H3's OnStar be hacked to use as BlueTooth or Cingular, or should I just get a CarKit ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Default Can the H3's OnStar be hacked to use as BlueTooth or Cingular, or should I just get a CarKit ???

The H3 comes wired for phone service (with a speaker in the headliner and stuff) service via OnStar/Verizon (Im told).

So here is my dumb question, is there any way to use the set-up thats already installed in my H3 either as bluetooth or switch the service to Cingular (since I already have service with Cingular) ,,,, or am I just better off getting a bluetooth car kit.

And if a car kit is the only way to go, anyone got any suggestions on a good one, I have kinda been looking at the Parrot 3200LS (needs to be installed professionaly) and also been looking at the Motorola one that just clips on the sun visor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Davyo

Old 10-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Default RE: Can the H3's OnStar be hacked to use as BlueTooth or Cingular, or should I just get a CarKit ???

Here's the best advise for maximum performance considering that the OnStar hardware is miles ahead of any aftermarket system out there:

1. Switch to Verizon service, get a nice new phone, and activate OnStar with a shared minutes personal calling plan with your new Verizon service. (OnStar will set it up after you get your new Verizon service)
2. Store your most frequently used numbers with voice tags in the OnStar system.
3. Set your new phone to "forward calls when not available" to your Onstar phone number. (Verizon will tell you how to do this)
4. Whenever you are driving, turn your new phone off and the Verizon network will forward your incoming calls automatically to your H3's OnStar system. For outbound calls, just use OnStar voice tags and digit dialing features.

You can also just call-foward your Cingular phone to your OnStar system but you'll loose the cost advantage of the cheap shared minute plans.

If you are willing to have a kit installed, Parrot systems work okay or you could consider the Motorola HFE1000 Bluetooth kit if you want better voice control and audio performance. I'd only really consider this for cars that do not have OnStar.

Otherwise, I'd recommend a good Bluetooth earbud over the Motorola clip-on unit.

OnStar can't be hacked for use with Cingular because it's NAD is CDMA not GSM.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Default RE: Can the H3's OnStar be hacked to use as BlueTooth or Cingular, or should I just get a CarKit ???

Is there an On-Star coverage map out there anywhere?

Old 10-26-2006, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Ghostrider

They use Verizon's Network...you should be able to look at the Verizon Coverage Map. The onstar will be better signal than your handheld vrizon phone because it is more powerful.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Ghostrider

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/coverage_map.jsp
This map depicts coverage for the following OnStar services on OnStar-equipped vehicles. This map does not portray coverage for OnStar Hands-Free Calling, Remote Door Unlock, Remote Horn and Lights, and Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance. Coverage maps for these OnStar services, digital equipment, and other service offerings will be available soon. This map is an approximation and does not guarantee coverage.