PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can’t unlock my doors

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 PM
Angry Can’t unlock my doors

This morning I went out to start my 2006 H3 but couldn’t unlock the doors with the key fob. Tried to use the key to unlock the door, but it wouldn’t turn. Figured the battery was dead, so after work, husband figured out how to open the hood, change the battery, and did so. Key fob now works to the point that when you unlock, lights go on, but doors don’t unlock, press the lock button, inferior lights go out, but no engagement of the locking mechanism. Now before everyone goes ballistic, didn’t find this forum until just now, and found out he thought the door lock might be frozen or something and ended up spraying WD40 on it, which another thread said do not do.....is there a way to get these darn doors open or do I have a very expensive yard ornament in the driveway?

Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 PM

Does the drivers window work? If not, it's a known problem with H3's and Colorado/Canyons after battery replacement or weak battery. It will fix itself after a few days. There is a quick fix by removing the drivers master switch, separating it and shorting out a capacitor.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:37 AM

Well if you're locked out the master window switch won't mean a whole lot.
I'm unsure how the doors could all be, stay locked continuously as the default is open on driver's door.
Is it below freezing by you??
When did the door last work??
Do you maybe have a short in your BCM, wiring etc..??

Old 01-18-2019, 04:22 AM

I drove it everyday and home from work the night before. All worked perfectly prior to yesterday morning. It was 24 degrees and in the 30’s today, but expecting about 10” of snow tonight. If we could get the darn door open, lots of options on how to fix it then. I swear I turned off the lights when I got out, honestly don’t remember ever moving the **** from automatic, but when new battery put in, headlights wouldn’t go out when not running......

Old 01-18-2019, 04:23 AM

Window worked fine on the way home from work, I always have to crack the window down when driving. Went up just fine when I parked it.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

You could have your husband disconnect the battery again for 10 minutes or so, then reconnect it positive side last.

While you are asking him to do that, you might want to look at the volume of threads here about why the OEM Factory Battery Terminal Connectors are junk and should be replaced with a quality aftermarket set, like Stingers or your favorite brand. The OEM connectors are a know Gremlin hatchery.

Or like wrench said, just give it a few drives to see if it will work itself out.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 AM

Has the H3 moved from lawn ornament status??

Old 01-28-2019, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by WR3NCHE4D
Does the drivers window work? If not, it's a known problem with H3's and Colorado/Canyons after battery replacement or weak battery. It will fix itself after a few days. There is a quick fix by removing the drivers master switch, separating it and shorting out a capacitor.
Could you elaborate on the quick fix more? I posted a thread about a similar issue.