PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Calling drtom, I got locked out!

Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Default Calling drtom, I got locked out!

We were all just taliking about locking the keys in your Hummer. drtom probably has the best solution, one to learn by.
My story:
I was having just a plain old regular day yesterday, it had snowed over the weekend and I wanted to get the Hummer washed yesterday after work. I went to the touch less car wash, jumped out of the Hummer and the worker gets in and drives it onto the conveyor, it was at that point when he got out he hit the door lock button. So at the other end of the conveyor the workers could not get in, and before I knew what was happening ( they have to work fast so the next car coming out doesn't hit my car) they tried to get into the Hummer with some tool that ended up scratching my paint. I told them to stop and we pushed the Hummer out of the way and I called my wife to bring me the other set of keys.
I'm upset at this outcome as my Hummer had no scratches and for me to get them in this manor really ticks me off.
The tools were the wedge with a long rod to try and open the door latch.
Made me rethink OnStar, but I may just go with drtom's theory because I believe in certain situations, you may not have time to call OnStar, you may need to get out of the area real fast.
My first defense will be the key fob that allows me to separate the key from the fob, so next trip to the car wash ( if I do go back there), I can disconnect the remote from the key.
Next is an extra key hidden.
I probably will not put a key in my wallet as I tried that years ago and it had ill effects on my leg for the times I wear the wallet in the back pocket.
Bottom line I am upset for what happened with my paint, but it opened my eyes to other dangers that could leave you unprotected to the elements and other dangers.

Oh, I did get home and re enacted what happened. I knew the Hummer was in Neutral at both ends of the conveyor, I could look in and see it in neutral (automatic) plus we rolled it off the conveyor. If the Hummer is in Park, you just can't lock your keys inside while in the ignition, but if you are in neutral, you can hit the lock button and lock the keys in the ignition. Of course the car needs to be in Neutral while free wheeling down the conveyor.

Last edited by Chameleon; 12-22-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:41 PM

OUCH that stinks. I have locked my keys in my Hummer twice now and called OnStar each time, the whole thing took I would say about 2 minutes. Just verify the plate and the personal pin. I can see where this would be rendered useless in this situation though.

In my old Jeep I used to have the hidden key under the car, but was always worried about the box falling out.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:56 PM

If you aren't in an urgent situation, the two minutes to wait for OnStar wouldn't be an issue, but there are times when that lenght of time is way too long.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Banned
Default once is tooo many!

so hide one, and one in wallet!!

btw my wallet key is stripped of plastic and is NOT noticed or felt,, soooo no excuses guys!! and as my bro in law said, "dont blame me"

i still am disputing the 2 remotes that cannot be used as the advertiser claimed.

i'd love to have a well hidden remote

and i think the car wash would be in BIG TROUBLE if i get a scratch

tom

Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 PM

I would find another car wash, no way a flunky is going to mess with my vehicle.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:48 AM

Has any one seen this hitch safe? You can store spare keys, credit cards or some cash in it.

http://www.duhastorage.com/PhotoGall...PhotoNumber=11

Old 12-25-2009, 11:02 AM

Good price too... I was thinking $200 plus for that $70 free shipping helluva deal... if only it had a bottle opener on the outside it would be a reason to buy a hitch if you didn't already have one

Old 12-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Banned
Default im hitched

what a great idea, wish i had a hitch
tom

Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Banned
Default a new twist on hidden key

i finally paid to have my keyless remotes programmed, booo hiss.

now the twist;

i have a key hidden "outside" my h3 as final protection from locking me out. it could be found.

if found the perp gets my ride. now if i hide a key "inside", its VERY unlikely to be found.

so if i do that, then hide a remote "outside"!! if its found the h3 could be entered but still not driven. if i need it obviously i can get the inside key.

yes im still working on the best solution to my paranoia of getting locked out!!!!!

btw in my OLD vehicles, not targets for theft i cut off keys so they were not ez to see LEFT in the ignition so i didnt need to mess with keys at all.

many years ago i had a toggle switcht that was wired with a relay so pulling it out started the van and turned on accs, pushing it killed everything,,look mom no keys!!!

im not likely to leave a key in h3 ign but i really dont like messing with keys.
the ign sw is so
"busy" and complex theres no ez way to gt around it.

oh well now where can i hide that remote??

tom

Old 12-29-2009, 10:36 PM

Drtom, get a trailer hitch, then get that hitch-safe. It looks very secure and if you put a cover on it you won't see it at all.

Your thoughts of hiding a remote outside and a key inside sounds like a good plan with the exception of maybe the damp/cold may destroy the remote.

I'll probably get the safe, but not right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Calling drtom, I got locked out!