PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Buying new H3 Engine. Need advise please

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:07 AM
Question Buying new H3 Engine. Need advise please

Hey all. Need advice fast here please. This should also be useful to others as our Hummers get up there in the mileage.
First off, I am in Canada. I own a 2006 H3 with 165000 kms (102526 miles) I am not having any engine problems, gasket never went on me yet. It has been good to me overall. Mainly electrical problems and I had to replace the cheap plastic fork. You can see in this post.... https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-breaks-17948/

I really enjoy this vehicle and want to keep long term. What worries me is how hard this engine has to work up hills etc. Even on highway at 60 mph on cruise, if you come to A small hill it kicks way up in rpm and a big hill I always kick off the cruise as is pains me to see it almost red line. (you know what I mean) Anyway to my point of this post.
I have an opportunity today to buy a 3.7L I5, 2008 model year. Comes with wiring and PCM for only $1000. It only has 7701 km on it (4785 miles) The engine is out and on a pallet. Came out of Canyon/Colorado. Even though my engine has some life left on it, this seems like to good of a deal to pass on as you never know when the engines will go. So, here are the questions.....

-Will this 2008 engine just bolt into my 2006 or has there been changes.
-What is cost to buy a new engine.
-Any ballpark idea on hiring someone to install
-what is the cost to have this engine rebuilt
-I am a bit excited here. What do I need to look for when I look at this engine and what future expenses may I run into when I go to install it.
-If this engine will not fit into my 2006. Is it worth buying an flipping for more $
-Since this would not be going into my hummer anytime soon I hope (if it fits) what kind of storage practice do I need. Does it need to be in heated shop?

Any discussion or advise greatly appreciated. If I think of any other questions I will add later.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Buying new H3 Engine. Need advise please-engine-1.jpg   Buying new H3 Engine. Need advise please-engine-2.jpg  
Old 11-12-2011, 11:42 AM
rsc

Not having done this personally, and not knowing of anyone posting about having done it I can only give my opinion on it. I think it will fit and work, but I'm pretty sure the PCM will need to come from a 3.7 or be reprogrammed for the different engine. Depending on the donor Canyon/Colorado being 2wd or 4wd you might have exhaust manifold problems, but I don't see why you couldn't find a new exhaust from a late model H3. I would contact Brodie and ask him if he has any ideas or advice.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by djezrock
If this engine will not fit into my 2006. Is it worth buying an flipping for more $
Yes. With all the stuff it comes with, wiring, pcm, etc, $1000 is a STEAL.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 AM

Draketh, I went and picked it up. Looks brand new. Got him down to $900. Pretty happy about the purchase. I will let everyone know once I talk to my mechanic. It is not potentially going in anytime soon. Who knows, I may want to get an h3T alpha in a couple years. I still shake my head that the hummer is no more. Thanks all you leaf lickers.
If anyone finds out the answer before me or to any of the other questions. Please share. I heard it can go in a 06 but the heads need to be changed. No idea??

Old 11-13-2011, 02:54 AM

Draketh. Awesome read with that link you provided in sig. And people think the H1 is big. LoL

Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

2008+ use both a PCM and a TCM, your 2006 body is not wired for the TCM.

The 2006 ans 2007 use different PCMs, so for the swap I believe you will need a 2007 PCM flashed to run the 3.7L in your 2006 body??? If lucky, you might get away with a flash of your 06 PCM and it may work??

Old 11-16-2011, 12:15 AM

Steal of a deal for the price. I was talking to the seller of that engine in Alberta a week or so ago I was also thinking of buying it. You will need a 2007 pcm as others have said. You most likely will keep the 3.7 heads.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 AM

I have talked to Brodie and want to share his reply here as it will help others someday. Very impressed with his quick response time and of course knowledge. Here is what he said.....

Reply from Brodie>>>
It will fit and it will work but you will need to know a few things. First off that PCM is useless to you. You need to use your existing PCM for this to work properly. 2006-07 use the same PCM but 2008+ are different because they use a separate TCM to control the trans where the 2006 and 2007 use the single PCM to control everything. Some other things may need to be used on your new engine from your old one or if you want to get new. The exhaust manifold on your new motor will be different if that engine is off a colly with 2wd. You will need to get the manfold off yours or a H3 because it curves around the front carrier. Same thing with the oil pan, you may need the pan off a H3 if that 3.7L from the colly had 2wd and not 4x4. The motor mounts may need to be exchanged also but I don't I think I remember that they are the same.

You may find little things different like plugs on the harness. If this is the case you will eiter need to change the part or change the harness, take my advice and change the harness but just where needed.

It's really not a big deal, everything bolts up. Your motor will fit rite to the trans and all the hoses and bolts will be the same. You will need a case relearn on the PCM and the best way to do this is to send it to PCM4less. Tell them what your doing and they will fix it up to work properly. You can take it to the dealership also but it will cost about the same and all they do is make it work where PCM4less will make it up and find you existing untapped power.>>>>>>