Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Buying a Hummer H3, would love feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:49 AM
Default Buying a Hummer H3, would love feedback

Hello all - I've been lurking on this forum and others for months as I first tried to decide H2 vs H3. I finally narrowed it down to the H3 based on my needs and usage. Anyhow, I found what seemed to be a great deal on a 2007 H3 luxury. Mileage 59k, two owners, priced at 16k. We went and drove it and it handled well, but there is a significant amount of rust. Also, the button placement and VIN tell me that this is an early 07 model. We've found that we can return the truck within 7 days, so I was wondering - how bad is this rust? If sealed properly, would it be a worthwhile purchase, or should we try to find another with less rust? The dealership is going to replace the ignition switch and battery, and have already replaced the brake pads and lights. Is this a good deal or should we keep looking?

Old 08-28-2018, 10:00 AM

Think you should take it in and have someone look at it.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Wink

That amount of rust seems excessive for only 59k miles (unless is was stored in a salt mine )

Old 08-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have the maintenance records from the prior owners? Low miles, but whoever owned it was no maintenance freak as far as washing off the winter road crud. My 07 has more miles and less rust, I am in MI where we salt winter roads like crazy?

Old 08-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Default Also....

I should add that we took it to our mechanic. He said it’s structurally sound but there was “extensive” rusting. He advised painting the undercarriage. The only records I have are the carfax, and its pretty bare.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:54 PM

You could probably just scrape the rust and paint an undercoat. Make sure it wasn't in a flood or something tho it does seem like a bizarre amount of rust for the miles

Old 08-28-2018, 07:44 PM

Damn that is some serious rust.

https://www.theruststore.com/Rust-Co...-FAQs-W48.aspx

Old 08-28-2018, 10:28 PM

I don’t have experience with salted roads but damn! Looks like the rims are toasted and need to be rechromed? It would be a pass for me. There are more out there.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:25 PM

Do you know any history on the vehicle? With the amount of rust it seems like it may be a recovery from a flood. My truck has got over 151k miles, 3rd owner but have got 50k miles into it myself and all 151k miles were owned here in Utah, from Vernal to Salt Lake. I'd say I've got 15% of that amount of rust and that's driving on salt, water, snow, and sand. How that vehicle has so much rust and low miles is insane.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:02 AM
Cool

There are plenty of other H3s out there. Seeing that much deep seated rust I'd look elsewhere. What would scare me is if you ever had to work on it and trying to get things apart. Also, I had similar issues with my chrome rims. Your tires will start leaking air around the valve stems.

Quick Reply: Buying a Hummer H3, would love feedback