PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bully Dog Watch Dog Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Default Bully Dog Watch Dog Monitor

Has anybody ever used this or something like this? I'm looking for something that will plug in to my truck and tell me more information. That shouldn't be hard considering it currently only has the trip mileage and odometer reading.

Bully Dog 40402 - Bully Dog Watch Dog Monitors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Banned

LOOKS GOOD,u buy and let me know!
ive looked at scan gage? and heard that its hard to calibrate so check out the instructions for setup.
i had a terrific trip comp in my ford probe and really miss it so ill be checking this, and waiting for your report!! obviously this does a lot more than my old trip comp.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:16 AM

That does look like a neat monitor. I wonder how it would work with our aftermarket supercharger installed. I see it records boost levels.

Keep us posted.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:07 AM

Amazon currently has the scan gauge II at 128.00 instead of 160, Mine will be here monday. There are several threads on what codes to input for certain readings, tranny temp and mpg being the main things I want to watch.
Why doesn't a 40k vehicle doesn't come with a decent mpg/trip computer? Even a pos jeep liberty has one.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Banned

this is part of a scanguage comment that i read before. btw amazon shows one for $94.

Now for the bad. What is missing is the customization of the AVG (MPG) on the main display. People will use ScanGauge to improve driving habits and improve MPG. The AVG resets itself after every trip. The AVG should be user selectable, with a running AVG based on TRIP, DAY, WEEK, MONTH or ENDLESS so that long term MPG progress can be measured on the main screen. As this product is marketed as an item to improve economical driving habits, this is a glaring omission of a basic functionality that seriously limits an otherwise outstanding product. And it is for this reason alone, I did not give this product 5 stars.
i wonder if the bully fixes this. my OLD 1990 probe accuraccy was absolute, with zero messing,AND it did not have obd2 data already available!
they say you must tell it how much gas at fill up time??

that said,it should be a simple matter for any unit to display data that is pretty much already there. yeah,if my backup cam sticker price was $550! they could build in a comp for cheep.

Last edited by drtom; 12-03-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:43 PM

The 94$ is just the mpg meter/trip meter. For 30 odd more bucks you can monitor everything your obd2 port can puke out at you.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

ok i didnt look that close. i am concerned about that comment i quoted. maybe you can clarify it with yours. id really like to get one,but not with that redo after each trip stuff???

the price is right on,,

Old 12-04-2011, 12:14 PM

That is on the scanguageE, the cheaper one. I would rather pay a little more and have access to far more data output.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

I have now had my unit repaired, and am happy to report that it is working well. I have tested it on an 1800 mile drive, and it stayed on all the time and even appears to produce reasonably correct predictions of fuel economy. Had it worked like this the first time, I would probably have rated it 4 or 5 stars.
A word of advice, however: If you buy this product to save gas in your vehicle, you need to realize it is really all about you being willing to change your driving habits, and not about the Scangauge II doing it for you. In other words, you need to really commit to keeping an eye on it and changing your driving pattern to see any difference - otherwise, you will just have an expensive thing on your dashboard which confirms what you already know - that you are getting crappy mileage in your vehicle. Given the necessary adjustment, I still haven't gotten to the point where I trust the ScangaugeII more than I trust the math I can do when I fill up my car and divide the miles on the trip counter with the gallons I just put in the tank. Oh, and remember, for it to be accurate, it needs to be told EVERY time you fill up your vehicle, exactly how much you put in.
this sounds pretty much the same for the sg 2 so let us know if you have trbl calibrating it.

my old comp just worked with no user input.