PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bounce went the rock....CRACK went the glass !

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Default Bounce went the rock....CRACK went the glass !

Just took a rock hit to the front glass today. [:@][:@][:@]

Eight inch crack and expeanding..

Damn thing sounded like a bowling ball hit it.

(Not as good as a garden implement, but scared the poo out of me anyway)

Dealer quoted me $600 and change for a replacement.

I’m looking around, but people are afraid of that trim/cladding.

And of course, because it says HUMMER on it the prices go up ! ! !

Any body else care to share their experience with front glass replacement?

I’m really curious what others have paid and what problems they have had.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Default RE: Bounce went the rock....CRACK went the glass !

I haven't had any occasion to change out my windshield on the H3, but in the past I've always had best luck with those mobile units that will come to you and change it out. What's the deductible on your insurance for that? Is it worth going that route? Best of luck.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:48 PM

I just had mine replace nothing to it very easy. My insurance payed them $500.
The molding is hold on with two screws pull the rubber gasket off then you see them.
The new one come with the mirrorr mount already on from the factory and also the top weather stip on top alreads comes attach.
I know how youfeel but think it's better then a shovel

Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 PM

I've had my H3 for about 5 months now and I've already got two small chips in my glass, they were tiny rocks kicked up on the interstate by a passing truck both times. They aren't running, they're really small, less than a half inch or less.

I'm bummed the glass is so fragile. I thought GM glass was a little better, I guess it's due to the angle of the windshield.

I have Allstate insurance, they tell me I've got zero deductible on glass chip repairs, so when I get some time I'll go find one of those shops that do windshield repair before the hot summer comes and it really starts running.

Has many of you guys and gals out there had problems with small rocks chipping the glass? just curious is it's bad luck on my part or if this is kinda normal for the H3.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 AM

Awwwww poor Gunnnnnnnn! So far no chips, cracks here...in FL tho we have replacement/no cost/no deductible and I used a mobile company as well on my other vehicles with good results.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:28 AM

Knock on wood!!! 2 1/2 years......FIRST windshield!!!

I HATE this time of year though....all the snow is gone, but we're left with all the crap/salt/sand from the winter. Always an EASY time for ROCK CHIPS!!![:@]

Old 04-04-2007, 12:40 AM

From what I hear, chips and cracks are the bane of an H3 owner’s existence.

I suppose there is no such thing as a glancing blow to a completely vertical piece of glass
traveling up to 80 mph. (At least in my case...) I saw it (the damn rock) bounce out from under
the truck in front of me, hit my SMA guard, then smack the glass. I guess it could have been worse
had it hit the hood upon initial impact instead of the guard. Body damage and glass breakage....

I guess I just have sticker shock. (6 bills and change just seemed like a lot....)

Guess who is lowering his deductable tomorrow.....

Now I've got to put up with this crack till just before inspection and registration time....Jul/Aug...

Replace the glass, loose the stickers.....Double damn ! !

Old 04-04-2007, 01:31 AM

Haven't had to replace the windshield yet, but I will soon. Got a chip/crack about 1/4 inch about a month ago and didn't have time to get it filled. On my last car, an X5, it ran about $675 (I went through 4 in 3 years - Route 80 in Jersey is the worst). Some insurances pay for something - either any amount over your deductible or more if you have coverage for specifically for glass - My new policy covers one windshield per year, I think.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that the windshields are so fragile. I realize the whole vertical thing makes them more vulnerable to direct hits, but since they're so short as opposed to the really long, almost flat winshields, I thought they'd be a little stronger. Like I said, my X5 had a really long, sloping windshield and it seemed like anything would chip it. The H3 so far has taken some REALLY good shots without any chips. The one rock that did crack it was so big, it would've cracked anything.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:07 AM

Actually, this windshield HAS taken a pounding, but today it met its match. I'd guess this rock was
the size of a golf ball or better....At the time it looked to be the size of my head......

Prior to today’s incident, it had survived a baseball, multiple debris hits and a large bird.

(no garden impliments yet <see Dilo>........but....I did run over a weed whacker in the middle of the highway once)

I do so much highway driving it was bound to happen.

Sounds like 6 bills isnt to far off a fair market price..........

Old 04-04-2007, 03:19 AM

After 2 months and a long road trip have 2 rock chips in drivers side. Grrrr. Life on winter roads however. Not cracking yet, but whe it does, insurance time for me.

Quick Reply: Bounce went the rock....CRACK went the glass !