PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

BOUGHT ONE!!, just bought it and want to change some things, open to see questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:27 AM
Default BOUGHT ONE!!, just bought it and want to change some things, open to see questions

I have a stock 06 H3 and I have a few ideas but wanted to get some input.

1.) Leveling kit, all I really want to do is level the front end with the rear without compromising integrity of the suspension system. I have read that many people are just adjusting their torsion keys. I have read some places that this can cause problems later on by putting to much tension on them. What other options are there for a reasonable price?

2.) My H3 is white and well honestly, stock it looks like a mom vehicle. I have a gallon and a half of herculiner DIY bedliner and have thought daily about using it on just the fenders or doing the WHOLE THING, just not sure, if anyone has painted or done their H3 is the bedliner or even painted their fenders(only) post some pics please!

3.) Has anyone painted or done bedliner on their chrome grill? If so, do I need to remoce the chrome plating off the grill first or just sand it down and scuff it up like anything else? Post pics as well please.

4.) If anyone has painted their stock wheels, did you spray paint or actually have them powder coated or what? I am trying to go the cheap route as much as possible and when it comes to painting things it is very easy to make something look good in a cheap way.

Ok guys, thats all I can think of right now as far as questions go. I do intend on using taillight black out film on my sidemarkers,taillights, and foglights. I will be building my own roof rack at some point but thats for later on.

Thanks guys let me know!!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:05 AM
Default My H3 06

BOUGHT ONE!!, just bought it and want to change some things, open to see questions-582494_656797336128_294336982_n.jpg

Here it is.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:06 AM

I have a 08 White H3 if you look at my photos I have leveled mine.. As long as you dont go over 23 inches from center of hub to the fender lip you will be fine.. If you go over that, then you will start having problems down the road.. Lift kit, unless you really want to lift it up alot, they are a waste of money and are not needed.. You can get added height with just the Torsion Twist and bigger tires... Good luck and happy modding.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:38 AM

I brought a leveling kit and return it ! ALL leveling kits that say H3/ Colorado are really made for the Colorado. Per Zone offroad, Skyjacker,Procomp and etc... I called them all. One of the tech guys told me I have a H3, I just turned the key bolts to level it. the tech said the colarado can't be leveled without new keys. that's why they make them.
Buy new shocks( Bilstein model5100) and turn the keys no more then 23 1/4inches at center of the hub or at the H of the Hummer on the wheel.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:35 AM

First two guys were right Fireman. Don't waste your money on keys. Level it and drive it around, if you feel that it has too much travel try going with just the trail duty bump stops. Follow that up with the longer and stiffer shocks (Bilstein Cognitos 5100s)

As for the roll on bedliner I have not used it on my H3, however I would think w/ some sanding and adhesion promoter it would work well on the fenders. The grille is gonna take some more work because of the plastic chrome, but still do able. I would suggest a matte clear over the grille because of the frequency of bug and rock hits up front (H3s are contoured bricks rolling down the road)

What are your plans for the H3? You mentioned a roof rack, hunting or camping?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the info fellas. I had been literally walking outside 2-3 times a day staring at it and coming within seconds of getting under it to crank those keys, Just havent done it!! I guess its the "just bought it" it my mind and not wanting to jack anything up. But, ill be doing it.

Dagkana- I have used the herculiner before on an old jeep I had. I used an angle grinder and heavy duty paint and rust stripper wheel on the tube bumpers and nerf bars. Looked really good when I was finished. Just curious how it would look with just the fenders having it. I guess if the fenders look terrible it will just give me the excuse to do the whole truck.

Yeah, I have a handfull of guys at the station that weld as a side job, I never have but I can go get the material and measurements and have one of them throw it together in a couple hours. The roof rack is for the hunting, camping, general use, and for it to look good as well. I think they make the H3 have a more off road look, and thats the best part isnt it??? This truck is gonna break and/or divorce me!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 AM

From the looks of your pic, it looks as though the front may have already been cranked up a bit. Just make sure you don't go higher than recommended to save your CV's

Here's the how-to thread: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...w-11428/page7/

As far as the bedliner goes, I think you rig looks great now. I'm not a fan of the bedliner on the body. Looks like an afterthought.

To set your rig off just a bit how about blacking out your emblems and adding the all-black factory roof bars...would give it a nice contrast.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:50 PM

Fireman nice looking rig, Mines not white but i had my grill LinXed for $75 and it is much harded than the sprayon bedliner. They ruffed it up with sandpaper first. I wanted to keep from chipping as much as possible. I painted the bumper and skidplate with semi flat black with med sanding before. My wheels are pd coated but many have painted their wheels with good results just need to prep them as good as possible before. good luck with your mods and it will become addictive! Heres a couple shots of my 3 with homemade rack to give you an ideas what the blackout looks like.

Name:  DSC00641.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  111.8 KB

Name:  DSC00634.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  142.1 KB

Name:  DSC00638.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  107.1 KB

Last edited by theindian; 06-30-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:11 PM

Fireman I would agree, it sure looks like you are close to level but it may just be the camera/driveway. I love the white 3's.....

...then I look at Indians rig and realize I like most all the colors
Really looks good Indian.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 PM

Awesome pics indian. I am going to start on the main grill and fenders Monday with the herculiner and will post pics after first coat. As far as leveling goes the picture is deceiving, while driving it I feel as if I'm staring down at the pavement. I'll be doing the torsion adjustment first thing Monday morning before working on the grill and fenders. I also think I'm going to herculine the rear tailgate as well just for kicks, seeing as how I'll end up being an overachiever and probably lining the whole rig. Still haven't gotten much input on the wheels though. Really curious to see how rattle canning the wheels would hold up.

Quick Reply: BOUGHT ONE!!, just bought it and want to change some things, open to see questions