PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Default blower motor

I seen the post before. But as an electrician i would like to know if any one knows the ohms of a good fan motor.. to compare what i have.. on my 08 h3 i have had one connection burn up. in my world if some thing burns up there is a bad connection or over amping ect. so yes putting new crimp on may fix the problem ...but what is the cause of the problem? I did ground the fan directly and seemed to help out some? I thermal temperature probed the resistor with the fan on low or med low..out of the fan box.. it was like 250 deg F..I have not took reading after new connections and grounding.
Does anyone have some more solid answers !!!!!!!!!!!
thanks
wade

Old 08-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Banned

first remember it is vital to have the resistors IN THE FAN BOX for cooling so your temp reading is not really useful.
its apparent that the res block and connectors is a poor design just waiting to fail,especially running in low speed with heat on!. air cond is good!
the main power pin must get hot because of contact resistance and starts the meltdown.
i dont know the motor resistance but i assume,(assume!) that if in runs,its ok.
i have an OLD res assm i need to post a pix of,the way they were made to last forever.
maybe they are still avail and can be made to fit.
its actual open wire wound elements on a fiber board that mounted on the fan box ,but bigger than the "new and improved ones"we are fighting.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by wkrpinnick
if some thing burns up there is a bad connection or over amping ect
You are correct, the root of the problem are the connectors. You could either solder on some new cables of correct gauge and add new connector types to improve the design or you could just cut the connectors off and solder straight onto the resistor pack to prevent heat buildup due to electrical arcing between the connections.

Mine has just failed due to arcing... I'm just don't know which route I'll take, adding new connectors (mo' money + time) or just cut and solder (time). For now I just cleaned the connectors and placed them back... fan is working again, and just need it to hold long enough for this weekend.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:22 PM

I just talked to a mechanic here in town.. he says it quite a common problem in the newer gm s. He recommended to change the fan as well as resistor. im changing fan resistor and the harness.. got a great site for cheep parts!! pm me if you want site not sure if i can post it here