PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All wipers and pumps stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Default All wipers and pumps stopped working

So ive checked fuses and replaced the washer control module on the motor bases on internet threads I read. Nothing is operating. What else can I check? 2004 H2.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:56 PM

Do you have 12 volts going to the motor when you turn the wipers on?

Old 10-27-2016, 08:40 PM

Dont know how to check that although I'm trainable. I have voltometer. If I didnt have 12v what would that say? I thought fuses or relay. No other trauma to vehicle....just stopped working. Oh....the HIGH wiper setting stopped working sometime this summer leaving only the low working. Last week everything including washer pump and rear wiper/pump abruptly stopped working.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:19 AM

If there is no 12v going to the motor or module , then your problem is Relay, Fuse or the most likely culprit would be the switch on the steering column especially since you said the high was not working.

If you have 12v at the motor then the motor itself is probably bad.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:59 AM

I have checked all wiper fuses under dash and hood. Also checked relay. Based on looking at another thread that posted an electric schematic, Looks like the turn signal/wiper switch itself might be the cause. You're right that my HIGH wiper function quit this summer. The schematic also shows how the rear wiper/washer is tied to the turn signal switch as well and they stopped working the same time the front wiper/washer did. If I had power to the front wiper I should also have power to the front washer and rear wiper/washer, which I dont. Logic tells me the wiper switch function on the turn signal just failed for whatever reason. I still have turn signals and cruise control operating.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:14 AM

I believe you are on the right track. If you buy a new switch I would recommend going with an OEM switch. The cheap ones are just that.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:36 AM

Just food for thought. Depending on where you live and where you park...Shortly after getting my wife's '08 the washers quit working. Still had wipers but both front and back washers were out. Was going the same route as you till next morning when I opened the hood for more troubleshooting. There was a rat, sitting on my battery and looking at me like its new best friend! So I decided to pull the washer tank and, sure enough, the damn critter had chewed the wires behind the tank.

So if you 're in a critter-heavy area and park outside, I'd also take a good look around under the bonnet and check for chewed wires and whatever else might seem like a good chew toy to a varmint. Oh, and my friend the rat? R.I.P.

Last edited by flyday58; 10-29-2016 at 09:39 AM. Reason: English 101
Old 10-30-2016, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
Good news and bad news. Good news is I have a brand-new OEM multifunction switch installed on the steering column. I also have a new Pults module installed on the wiper motor. Bad news is neither of these new components have fixed my problem. I'm now going to check for power at the motor and see where that leads me.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
Originally Posted by flyday58
Just food for thought. Depending on where you live and where you park...Shortly after getting my wife's '08 the washers quit working. Still had wipers but both front and back washers were out. Was going the same route as you till next morning when I opened the hood for more troubleshooting. There was a rat, sitting on my battery and looking at me like its new best friend! So I decided to pull the washer tank and, sure enough, the damn critter had chewed the wires behind the tank.

So if you 're in a critter-heavy area and park outside, I'd also take a good look around under the bonnet and check for chewed wires and whatever else might seem like a good chew toy to a varmint. Oh, and my friend the rat? R.I.P.
If I have no power which I will check today I'm going to suspect something like this is the case. Anyone else have an issue with grounds going bad?