Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Best ride and comfort rims/tires size!?! (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/best-ride-comfort-rims-tires-size-27122/)

IronmanVR4 02-29-2012 12:19 PM

Best ride and comfort rims/tires size!?!

Was wanting to upgrade my stock 2006 H3 rims. Wondering what the best size rim 16", 17", 18", or 20" for best RIDE and COMFORT would you guy suggest I go with also let me know the tire size that would best achieve this as well. I commute 40+ miles a day back and forth to work so RIDE and COMFORT is foremost but LOOKS would be great ++ as well. Thanks for all input and suggestions.. :D

skeptic 02-29-2012 01:28 PM

Honestly, for ride and comfort I'd stick with 16" wheels and and check reviews on a place like tirerack.com for a set of all season tires. I'm pretty sure they, or a similar type site, have ratings for things like road noise and comfort.

SundownAudioNY 02-29-2012 03:45 PM

Your going to have the most sidewall with a 16" wheel, so I would suggest sticking with a 16" wheel.

zderekv 02-29-2012 05:42 PM

i'd recommend keeping the stock or stock size rims and look at a 285/75 tire. nothing big and luggy, unless you take it off road stick with highway treads. MT's look great but they howl on the highway, hurt your gas milage and generally ride like a "truck". personally, i run AT's - they're a "jack of all trades, master of none" tire. not as cush and quiet as the HT's but i do take it off road and they just look like they belong on the truck.

general rule with tires: you usually get what you pay for

Bunger 02-29-2012 06:35 PM

I'll also say stick with 16" rims & 285/75/16 mild AT tires

Widespread Hummer 03-01-2012 05:38 AM

From my experience the BFG AT's are a great riding tire. I have had my complaints about my expectations in the snow but since I haven't heard other complaints I would say its a "me" problem. They look pretty good on the 3 and there is virtually no noise. Overall they are good all around tires that are capable in a number of situations.

IronmanVR4 03-01-2012 07:02 AM

Thanks all for your input looks like I will have to suffer a bit if I go with bigger rims... 16s are just a bit to small for my taste..

beltwaybob 03-01-2012 07:55 AM

A couple points (opinions). The looks part depends on the overall diameter of the tire. If you recall seeing an SUV with 22 inch rims and low profile tires, it looks like a baby buggy. Not my favorite look.

I've had ATs that made noise and I think it was because I failed to rotate them on schedule.

My H3 has the optional 18 inch wheels and I'm thinking I'll go to oversized DuraTracs next time. They are rated pretty good at Tire Rack. If you choose the tire and choose SURVEYS, it looks like the DuraTrac gets good marks.

zderekv 03-01-2012 11:42 AM

imo - trucks need smaller wheels and bigger tires. leave the oversized rims and low profile tires for the tuners. plus lo-pro's ride like sh!t.

Bunger 03-01-2012 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by zderekv (Post 273206)
imo - trucks need smaller wheels and bigger tires. Leave the oversized rims and low profile tires for the tuners. Plus lo-pro's ride like sh!t.

exactly !!! ;)