PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to buy Gobi Rack? And Question about lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:46 PM

i know ive got a few replys on here, but to answer your other questions, the four lights on the front are for off-roading, they are too high and bright to drive with on the road, and youd probably get pulled over. For me, I have 3 switches for the lights, 1 switch for the 2 in back, 1 switch for the 2 lights on the ends of the front and 1 switch for the 2 lights in the middle.
as far as the side lights, i dont think you can go wrong there, just have to be aware of how much power youre pulling from the battery, esp if the engine is shut off. i ran a number 8 wire under the truck to the back with a connector on the end and rewired the roof rack to run the power down the rear pillar to connect it to the 8 wire when i am not using the rack, which is 99% of the time. i believe typically, the power runs down the front drivers side pillar to the battery but not sure how it disconnects when not in use?
either way, the rack makes the truck look sharp and i have heard that its compatible with a roof top tent!
keep us updated!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by SundownAudioNY
Contact Tim @ Expedition Hardware, he has the best customer service and great prices on GOBI. $1450 shipped and you get a free ladder.
Do I just go to Expedition Hardware's website?

Originally Posted by mgoblue85
Wow, does it get that foggy at the "U" of Miami? Just kidding.

Would love to see pics of your finished project. I've always liked the looks of the Gobi rack and ladder. The lights sound cool too.
I am from Alabama. Haha It is just a old email account. Roll Tide. But thank you, I love the look of the lights.

Will I have to get a secondary battery?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:12 PM

The wife and I are headed to Dallas with 14 friends to see the Michigan game against Alabama on Sept. 1st of next year. She has family in and around Dallas. Hopefully the game is more competitive than most of 'bama's games are.

GO BLUE!! LOL

I apologize for not adhering to the original link.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Theuofmiami
Do I just go to Expedition Hardware's website?
Will I have to get a secondary battery?
Just PM Timgco here, he is the owner of Expidition Hardware AKA the Gobi Guy.

As far as a second battery, it all depends on the number of lights, amount of current draw, how often you will use them, how many you will use at 1 time and of course will the HUMMER be running or off.

I have 6 Bosch lights up top front (4 facing forward and 2 facing down and to the front fenders), 2 Bosch lights on the bumper and have done a good amount of "night wheeling" with them ALL on and have never had any issues. I will be adding more Bosch lights for rears and 2 for sides soon. I will not run them all at once without installing my dual battery setup.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by mgoblue85
The wife and I are headed to Dallas with 14 friends to see the Michigan game against Alabama on Sept. 1st of next year. She has family in and around Dallas. Hopefully the game is more competitive than most of 'bama's games are.

GO BLUE!! LOL

I apologize for not adhering to the original link.
Roll Tide my friend, Hope you and your friends have a safe trip there!I am pretty sure I will be attending that game as well!

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Just PM Timgco here, he is the owner of Expidition Hardware AKA the Gobi Guy.

As far as a second battery, it all depends on the number of lights, amount of current draw, how often you will use them, how many you will use at 1 time and of course will the HUMMER be running or off.

I have 6 Bosch lights up top front (4 facing forward and 2 facing down and to the front fenders), 2 Bosch lights on the bumper and have done a good amount of "night wheeling" with them ALL on and have never had any issues. I will be adding more Bosch lights for rears and 2 for sides soon. I will not run them all at once without installing my dual battery setup.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much for your help. I will be running the lights with my car running I believe.Thank you for your input and yes it does help!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM

I talked with GOBi about the Ebay listings. ...more to come on this. This ebay listing is not through an Authorized GOBI dealer.

At the time of the Trail Hugger build, I was working for GOBI full time. I helped with that build on ths rack end of things. The PIAA 2100 lighting will just clear the sides by mounting under the sides of the rack. You will want to use the fog pattern (whorter/ wide light pattern)there. In running 10 PIAA lights on the rack and possibly more on your grille guard, I do think it's a good idea to run the dual battery setup. Artec or custom is easy to build. not a bad idea also to run battery cables with digital amp draw readout under the hood. Running all these lights will require a nice relay mounting plate under the hood too. Each set of PIAA lights uses one relay. You can get around this by running larger Bosch relays and going custom is you want.

The other option to improve on lighting over the PIAA 2100's, would be to use LED lighting. While they are costly, the light output is much clearer and amp draw is way less. Rigid Industries has pleanty of options to mount lights on the GOBI racks.

I'm just did both an H2 and H3 build with Rigid lighting. The H2 owner I am hoping will post pics up here. If not , I will aski for them. the H3 owner is overseas and due back next year, so it may be a while before I have pics on those.

On my current build, I am going to use LED lighting front/ rear/ sides of the rack, rock lights along the inside of the frame under the rig, and also 2 combo lights on the front bumper. I'll end up doing a full writeup on this build. Dual bat. kit, SPOD lighting relay box and switch pannel.

Running dual batteries is a great idea! Not only can you run more accessories, but also allows you to keep mobile if one battery should go down while in remote areas. I know there are a few owners here running them. Post up some pics to give the OP some ideas of what the finished mod looks like.

Thanks,
Tim .
...hope that helps.

Last edited by Timgco; 11-03-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:16 AM

AOR - American Off Road LED LIghts, awesome..awesome awesome...

Attached Thumbnails Best place to buy Gobi Rack? And Question about lights-lights-1.jpg   Best place to buy Gobi Rack? And Question about lights-lights2.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Check out Stallion Customs out of California, I got mine (Gobi Stealth W/Ladder) for $1349 and that included shipping. They run specials through out the yr. I got mine with an additional 10% off durring fathers day, the racks are very nice and very easy to install, the down side to ordering from Stallion Customs is I had to wait 3 months to get my roof rack(I live in Northern Wisconsin), But If you don't mind the wait the price is the best I have found. Hope this helps you out.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM

Cheapest I've found yet:

Hummer Parts and Accessories : Gobi Racks for the H3 **FREE SHIPPING & LADDER**

Free ladder, free shipping... beat that one...