PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belt squeek

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Default belt squeek

talked to the Service Dept at my Dealer today about my belt squeek. Per the dealer service rep this is common on all Alpha's and changing the belt doesn't help. I know Patches had this issue and his dealer replaced the belt and all is good. But again per my dealer service rep a belt replacement will not fix this problem. So my question is who knows of a good aftermarket bely for the 5.7 Alpha

Thanks

Old 12-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: belt squeek

get some belt dressing before you buy a belt... if it goes away then tell your dealer he is full of **** and you demand the belt changed...

Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 PM

First of all, it shouldn't matter what the problem is - your Alpha is under warranty and they should troubleshoot and fix the problem. Secondly, if they know this is a common problem on Alphas, that means there is a common solution since they must have run across it before. Why don't they just ask you to leave it and let them fix it using whatever method is prescribed?

I am always suspicious when a service rep says it's a common problem but has no ready solution to reply with. Has the service department told you what the fix is if it's not the belt?

If my dealer had refused to change the belt, I would have found the correct belt in the Gatorback brand and put it in myself. Gatorback is the brand to go with IMO.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:08 PM

Service Rep stated they are hoping for a TSP about this issue
As far as belt dressing everytime I have tried that stuff in the pass it only makes the problem worse
I now have appointment Saturday morning so we'll see what happens
I will update this post after saturday

Old 12-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Well, we have replaced the belt on a couple of Alpha's already and they have not been back. SO i would say that maybe your service rep should just change the belt and be done with it.
i'm glad my Alpha has not developed this problem!

Old 12-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Default RE: belt squeak

Just returned from the dealer. They told me this morning that as of Wednesday of this week there is now a TSB on the cold start belt squeak. The TSB states that the belt squeak is caused by a misalignment issue. The fix was to realign the power steering pulley by moving it out 1/32 of an inch. The hummer is fix now ! They have done this on all of their H3 alpha's on the lot as well as calling their customers back that have also complained about thiscold start belt squeak

Old 12-08-2007, 01:19 PM

Since when does the "Service Rep" actually know anything. They don't drive your truck eh! Plus how many people do you think he talks to in a day about vehicle problems. It's under warranty tell them to replace it. Andbit of advise, anytime you have a part replaced always, always ask to see the BAD parts.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:12 AM

just dropped my Alpha off for the same reason. my dealer was unaware of the issue, but quickly became familiar with it when they pulled up ina loaner Alpha that was also squeaking. he asked "is that the squeaking you're hearing?" i mentioned the TSB. hopefully, they'll find it and fix it. thanks for the info!!!

lil d

Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

I had this problem with my '06 H3. They pulley was misaligned from the factory and eventually caused it to go bad, along with the belt. They had to replace the pulley and the belt. It was under warranty and there was no TSB for it, so your dealer doesn't sound like they want to do anything that isn't on a TSB which isn't good. I hope you don't run into any other problems like that.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:48 AM

My 07 only squeeks underwater

Quick Reply: belt squeek