PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 PM

I have seen plenty of batteries with your symptoms, if 1 or 2 cells die it will do exactly what you are seeing. The battery will get warm to hot setting as it is draining the electric to your shorted out or dead cell. This frequently happens on vehicles like big trucks with 2 to 4 batteries and a shorted cell will kill all the batteries. I always thought that sometimes when you accidentally run a battery dead by leaving things on this sometimes causes a cell to short out for reasons I don't know why, then when you get it charged it can give you the symptoms your describing. If you can get to your battery fluid you can do a gravity test to find a dead cell if it is a sealed battery, best you can do is a load tester.
Good luck and take care.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by wanderer32
I have seen plenty of batteries with your symptoms, if 1 or 2 cells die it will do exactly what you are seeing. The battery will get warm to hot setting as it is draining the electric to your shorted out or dead cell. This frequently happens on vehicles like big trucks with 2 to 4 batteries and a shorted cell will kill all the batteries. I always thought that sometimes when you accidentally run a battery dead by leaving things on this sometimes causes a cell to short out for reasons I don't know why, then when you get it charged it can give you the symptoms your describing. If you can get to your battery fluid you can do a gravity test to find a dead cell if it is a sealed battery, best you can do is a load tester.
Good luck and take care.
I was thinking the same thing. Swap batteries if you can and see if you get the same result (that is if you don't have a meter for additional testing).

Old 09-24-2011, 09:02 AM

Batteries can be dangerous. If it is heating by itself quit messing with it and get a new one. Its not worth it if that thing explodes.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:54 AM

I've seen many batteries with internal shorts and wouldn't rule it out entirely. In fact, I just replaced two yesterday because of it.

Even if the problem isn't the battery, I'd still replace the current one since it's been discharged/heated so much. I was just using process of elimination. Two easy tests to rule out the obvious and more forward with the troubleshooting.

Dr Tom, I'm surprised this isn't covered in your handy manual LOL

Old 09-24-2011, 11:44 AM

see it's not "my way", this isn't Burger King haha. I am only trying to help the guy with advise on what I'd do. In addition, I was merely suggesting I wouldn't even go to AutoZone and trust a kid in a red shirt until I ruled out the obvious.

Time to move on, and to the OP...I hope you find the issue and end your frustrations.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:28 PM

Batteries can get internal shorts. The symptom are heat, venting vapor and swelling of the case. I have seen it numerous time in Fire Trucks. As a matter of fact it happend last weekend.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
Batteries can get internal shorts. The symptom are heat, venting vapor and swelling of the case. I have seen it numerous time in Fire Trucks. As a matter of fact it happend last weekend.
Again, for the OP, batteries can be dangerous. They can only swell so far before I put in a redtop last week because factory battery was shot. Whn i pulled it out it was at least 100 degrees and swollen like an 8 month pregnant woman. Definitely not a situation I would feel comfortable having varying voltage in a casing that is passing the point of strucutral intergrity.

I have also had a battery explode while driving my VW bus. Talk about scaring the hell out of someone. It sounded like a shot gun and acid was everywhere in the engine compartment. All fuel line, vacuum lines, and anything else that could have been effected had to be replaced.

Prevention.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 AM

I have noticed many times that my display was still lit and humming after removing the key from the ignition..Usually, when the door is opened, the display should sign off, but in my case , it stays on humming..I also discovered that by opening the passenger door, the display signed off..strange..if the display stays on, this is def a battery drain situation if one is not careful..

Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by dafihummer
I have noticed many times that my display was still lit and humming after removing the key from the ignition..Usually, when the door is opened, the display should sign off, but in my case , it stays on humming..I also discovered that by opening the passenger door, the display signed off..strange..if the display stays on, this is def a battery drain situation if one is not careful..

Most new cars are designed that way, to have power on the accesories until the door is opened. It is possible that your driver's side door switch is bad.

Also the OP needs to like most have said, if the battery is warm/hot from sitting overnight, then there is something drawing more current than normal. Or the battery is bad. Whatever it is it needs to be checked out and corrected. So instead of relying of forum replies. Get it fixed. Hot batteries=possible battery explosion, I have seen some that resemble a bomb had went off. If the gas in your house was leaking, you wouldn't be on a forum looking for answer's.......Sorry to sound so straight forward. But you could be risking you or your families life if you park in your garage attached to your house. Or open your hood and create that needed spark to set off escaping hydrogen gas,

Last edited by jewjenk; 09-26-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Banned

it was at least 100 degrees and
will it ever end!!!! batteries all over the southern USA are over 100 just sitting on the driveway!! some guy in texas said 100+ for weeks!!!

anyway if 1/10 of 1 percent of the disasters listed here happened in real life there would be car fires and explosions all day,all over town,,,!!hilarious !!!

just chek for 110ma leakage and 15 v max charging volts, then decide. it is not rocket science

Quick Reply: Battery drain