PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Battery Drain

Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Talking Battery Drain

Ok, I am new here, and desperate for some help!
I have a 2006 H3, Everything off, key out, doors shut, hood up,
and the + battery cable off, measures 1.8Amp all the time, even after leaving it off over night. Needless to say, after two days sitting, my battery is too low to start it. To shorten the diagnostic, the only thing
that takes it away, is pull Fuse #13 (RDO). I have taken the Radio out,
and disconnected the CD Mech (ribbon cable) per directions from Audio Mechanic. Also, if I unplug the large connector going to the Radio rear, it also removes the drain. It goes down to 14Ma. I unpluged every connector on that panel one at a time, no help. I read on the forum, a complete Radio Reprogram ??, $46, no change. I have had this thing to the shop three times. 1.8 amps drain is not normal, and is running the Batt down unless I drive it every day. And oh, yeah, the Radio, XM, Cd all works just fine. Also, my second brand new Interstate Battery, even though, with a snap-on digital load tester, test perfect. I am stumped, and would appreciate any guidiance to help find the parasite...Thx, Joe.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Banjo-Joe
Ok, I am new here, and desperate for some help!
I have a 2006 H3, Everything off, key out, doors shut, hood up,
and the + battery cable off, measures 1.8Amp all the time, even after leaving it off over night. Needless to say, after two days sitting, my battery is too low to start it. To shorten the diagnostic, the only thing
that takes it away, is pull Fuse #13 (RDO). I have taken the Radio out,
and disconnected the CD Mech (ribbon cable) per directions from Audio Mechanic. Also, if I unplug the large connector going to the Radio rear, it also removes the drain. It goes down to 14Ma. I unpluged every connector on that panel one at a time, no help. I read on the forum, a complete Radio Reprogram ??, $46, no change. I have had this thing to the shop three times. 1.8 amps drain is not normal, and is running the Batt down unless I drive it every day. And oh, yeah, the Radio, XM, Cd all works just fine. Also, my second brand new Interstate Battery, even though, with a snap-on digital load tester, test perfect. I am stumped, and would appreciate any guidiance to help find the parasite...Thx, Joe.
I have heard of cases of a defective OnStar module doing this.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 02-23-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Randall, THanks! I read the same thing, last night. I got the information on disconnecting the power to it. I do not subscribe, nor use the onstar.
I will try that tonight. I appreciate it very much. Joe.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Banned

the normal,"just sitting there" drain is 110 milliamps or apx 1/10 of an amp.

1.8 is a serious ,dead batt problem.
start pulling fuses till u find it.

btw i posted this a while back and now i remember,when first connecting the meter it read about 2 amps i think,for a short time,then dropped to apx 110 ma.

Last edited by drtom; 02-23-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:21 PM

Yes, serious drain is correct, go back and read my post,
I have already pulled fuses. The only one that kills it, is the Radio Fuse. I let it sit all night, with the battery cable off, and it is still 1.8 amps. thx for your reply, Joe.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
I have heard of cases of a defective OnStar module doing this.
X2 on the OnStar module!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Default Same problem

I am having the same problem but can't find the 10 amp fuse going to the Onstar. Can you tell me how to disable the power to Onstar? The wiring diagram I have shows a 10 amp circuit going to the Onstar, Vehicle Communication Module and digital radio receiver.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:39 AM
Default Battery Drain

Removed the on star fuse from the positive battery cable under the hood. No more battery drain. Also no On-star and xm radio.