PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Barnwell Mountain (Gilmer, TX) Off Road Run Saturday 09/29/07

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Default RE: Barnwell Mountain (TX) Off Road Run Saturday 09/29/07

I just cashed in some Holiday Inn points for a room at the Longview North H.I. Express for Friday the 28th of Sept. and am holding Sat. the 29th too.

I guess Longview is the closest city with plenty of hotels and food, not sure about Gilmer.

Just curious, where is everyone staying?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:36 AM

i was only planning on making a day trip. leaving early saturday morning and returning late afternoon. if you are staying overnight, then yes, longview is the best/closest place. no offense to gilmer, but i you dont want to stay there . of course, you could always camp at barnwell. i think its an extra $10 to stay over night. just a suggestion.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Gunner_45

Since you used to be a HDI, you have any other thoughts, warnings or time ripened knowledge and experience you'd care to pass on regarding BMRA ?
Nothing in particular - but there is plenty at Barnwell that can tear up your truck -- just don't go too far over your comfort level (or what you know to beyour H3's level!). It helps that you'll have some folks that know a few of the trails and aren't guessing at what they have in store. Just do what I do in a difficult situation - let someone else take the obstacle first and see how to (or most of the time, NOT to) go over...ha!...have fun and be careful!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:59 PM

hey! wait a second! i am that 'someone else' ha!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: dmb7280
hey! wait a second! i am that 'someone else' ha!
Dave, that's why we are letting you drive point and giving your co-pilot Odie a pair of "Limb Loppers" and a "Bow Saw".....

Please give her and Kat my regards the next time you see 'em....

BTW: My vacation requests are in.......Let's see what they kick back on me. I know they have moved 2 of my projects and one
may actually be in my favor.....We will see.........Preliminary indications are that I'll be able to make OUR OUTING, the Sewell thing,
and even the Premier Performance Car fest (Think Chip Foose, Elanor Mustangs and Coddington level Hot Rods).......Looks
like my chances of going on the Classic Hummer outing are torpedoed for the moment.......They keep using/emphasizing the
following phrase: "Keep your schedule fluid for September and October"......[:@][:@][:@]

I had planned on a day run as well....Convoy from a common meeting ground in Dallas, Meet the other guys on site,wheel and come back home.

It's what, a 2 hour drive straight down I-20 ?

Brian, thanks for the heads up on possible breakage....Some of the footage and photos I've seen look like 33's+, Rails and UPC
would be required on anything above a 2 rating....A damn rock buggy I aint.....In an earlier e-mail you said you wouldn't be going
back there any time soon.....Bad experience?

Old 08-23-2007, 02:20 AM

I put in a vacation request for the Sewell event last night and noticed I've got trips planed three weeks in a row, with this one, the 29th, being the last. I'll still plan on going provided I still have funds and motivation by the time it comes around.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Gunner_45

Brian, thanks for the heads up on possible breakage....Some of the footage and photos I've seen look like 33's+, Rails and UPC
would be required on anything above a 2 rating....A damn rock buggy I aint.....In an earlier e-mail you said you wouldn't be going
back there any time soon.....Bad experience?
Wasn't bad really, just hard to navigate with a vehicle you can't have any damage on...But I was also with The Hummer Club, which like to really push the limits, or on occasion go over them! Which isn't a bad thing, but with my particular vehicle situation, I had to play it pretty safe. There are plenty of trails that are difficult, but wont ruin your rig - but there's normally a good deal of peer pressure to go over stuff maybe you shouldn't. With that said, a lot depends on the driver, at one spot the first couplevehicles (including an H2) had to be tugged via strap up over an uphill obstacle, but a little btm and momentum got me up scratch free w/ no tow. I know the rain can have dramatic affects out there w/ erosion...so trails can be different even a week apart.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Thanks for sharing your insight.........I figured you had made a few runs
over there and would pretty much know the lay of the land.

It pretty much re-enforces what I've seen in pics and on video....I wonder what
trails Classic is gonna use?

BTW: I got a call from one of your guys today, unfortunately I was in the operations
center all DAMN day and we get squat for reception. I'll try to give him a call between
project meetings tomorrow. I'm doing the 6 to 7 thing till at least Saturday, but I willgive him a call....Thanks.

Hummer Driver: Was that youIhonked at headed up Arbrook this evening.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:51 PM

ohhh great! my idea = i go first. haha! that's fine, but i've got a feeling that i wont be followed thru a few trails . dont think odie (she said'hello')or kat will be coming this time, tho i may have another female guest .

glad we're on the same page regarding the day trip. let's just hope you can make it that weekend. i actually took I-20 to US 80 to 155 (i think). its a little bit more of a direct route and super easy. but, yes, approx 2 hours. plenty of gas stations on the way though one tank should be plenty.

im pretty sure everyone will be ok that doesnt have rockers, lockers, or ubp. if something looks too rough, then we just wont take it. nobody should be scared (even you, Big Gun ).

i'll probably invite my 2 jeep buddies again. dont worry, they dont bleed CHEEP. very down to earth and dont even know about the rivalry .

keep us posted on your status. i'll periodically ask for an updated roll call from the group (if there still is one).

dave

Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 AM

Think this needed a bump. Anybody gotten there invite for the Sewell event yet?

Quick Reply: Barnwell Mountain (Gilmer, TX) Off Road Run Saturday 09/29/07