PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad vibration at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:58 PM

Bearcsa....

I am having the same problem with my 07 Hummer. It just started after being repaired from a rear end collision but they cannot find what is causing the vibration into the steering wheel. No motor mounts did not fix it. I know your post is old but did you ever find a fix?? Anybody out there find a fix? No check engine light comes on and it only vibrates when idling...like it you could up the idle rpms a little it would be fine.
Any help appreciated.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM

I had a bad vibration under passenger dash, ended up being the heater core hose vibrating against the firewall

Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Banned
Default very complex engine,,balance shafts

thes eng has 2 bal shafts aside the crank,driven with chain from gear at rear of engine.

get this,they line up at each ELEVEN rotations!!! of crank!

maybe the dealer dont know,OR dont want to know or admit since its a big teardown if chain breaks!!

just a stab

tom

on old cars i changed all ignition parts! one plug wire on a 390 v8 would shake my teeth out.

just guessin

tom

Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
I think you answered your own question? It is and Inline 5 cylinder engine. They are NOT inherintly balanced, and shake, vibrate, rattle, roll, whatever you want to call it. 4s and 6s are a bit better.

Since you did not describe a miss or CEL, likely it is normal. Of course, everybodys' definition of a "bad vibration" could be a bit different.

Open the hood, start the motor, put your have on top of the throttle body/top of the intake manifold, or even the air filter box. That is transferred to the truck only to be dampened by the "rubber" motor, trans., and T Case mounts/bushings.

Compare it with a V motor. Huge difference.

Beat me to it. Inline motors are more prone to vibrations and are not as "friendly" or comfortable as v motors.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Banned
Default They are NOT inherintly balanced, and shake, vibrate, rattle, roll,

they ALL vibrate, why should an i5 be worse than a 90 degree v6 which cannot be balanced and is a whole batch of compromises?

is any engine considered inherently balanced?

tom

Old 07-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

Man I loves me some 90* v6!! Awesome motors. Inline motors have their own personalities though. Ever driven a jeep? lol

EDIT: I meant 60* v6.. I love those! hehe. No comment on the 90's.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Banned
Default i missed sumpthin

"Inline motors are more prone to vibrations and are not as "friendly" or comfortable as v motors."

i could show you a 49 buick straight 8 that you could sit your morning coffee on and find it at noon!! that thing was smooth as a clock motor,,well when clocks had motors!

tom

now a v 12,,thars a motor

Old 11-18-2010, 07:12 PM
lex

had rough idle....took to dealer...59K miles on it....they said...oh your number one cylinder has misfired 1000 times....um but right now its not doing it....we should clean the throtle body and do a inj cleaner....WTF? I said did you check number one coil pack? oh no it wasnt throwing a code? I said why would it misfire? ....btw my wife drive this rig like its a race car.....guess when I get it back I will go buy a coil pack and replace for number one....

I LOVE THE DEALER!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 PM

My 07 still under warranty has been to the dealer 2x for this issue. Bought it in March with 26k on it and now has 38k but the roughness started around 30k. Had the pulleys tightened and other crap but it still shakes bad. Can I just go back and start suggesting things for them to check? I did mention motor mounts but they said they looked fine... Thanks in advance

Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 PM
lex

so guess what....replaced the coil pack for number one problem GONE.....if you have a rough idle just get it scanned to figure out what cylinder and 5 min later it can be DONE! again stealership is useless.

Quick Reply: Bad vibration at idle