PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad vibration at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by IdahoH3
This issue is with the head in the late '06 and '07 I-5's, I think the issue was resolved in '08. The issue is the valve seat they used in the earlier heads, they are too soft and the valve doesn't seal completely. This causes the effected cyclinder, or cylinder's, to loose compression.

If this is your issue you should notice your check engine light come on, it will go off and come back on every once in a while. The only fix here is to replace the head with the re-designed head that was brought out in '08. Luckily the GM warranty is awesome and I got my head replaced for free, including oil change and rent-a-car.

Little over generalization aye. The "head valve" issue resulted in TSBs and an extended warranty for the engine for very early 06s. All the Atlas motors had the problem, not just I5s, and it wasn't the head, it was the valve seats. The problem was corrected by the use of hardened valve seats for all Atlas motors built after March 31, 2006. So... whatever problem the 07s and later Atlas motors had/have, it is not the same problem.

There are other issues which could easily cause a rough idle, and TSBs on some of those, like dirty fuel injectors, a bad coil pack, a bad wire harness, bad plug, the early problem with the plugged cam position sensor screens, and even a boogered up variable valve timing actuator.... on and on.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:55 PM

you know after reading everyone's reply it seems to be the easiest place to start is with the motor mounts and then so on. I have a small vibration also but it seems to go away after it warms up, maybe it's the head, who knows

Old 11-07-2009, 01:31 AM

Hello boards.

Just got done with our second "lenghty" trip 1k+miles in our '06 H3, and noticed vibrating from the motor the last few miles of the trip along with the check engine light...

The truck has 41k miles on it, my wife and I have been the only owners/operators of the truck for the last 3 and a half years, this is the first time that either of us have felt the truck do this.

It is the Inline 5, the problem only seems to occur while idling. Did not notice any abnormalities while braking/turning, only while idling. I can get by with the "imbalanced I5 motor" rhetoric, if the Check Engine Light was not illuminated at the onset of the issue.

So where to go? Go to the Auto Parts Store, get a Code Reader, diagnose the problem more? Take it to a dealer?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned
Smile just for reference

got my 07 h3 38000 milrs in june, now 42000'

was and is now totally smooth, engine and ride and feel.

thats what i like so much, it feels like luxury.

btw the steering; i think i can do a u-turn in two lanes!!

is it tight or what?

tom

Old 03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Default H3 Shaking as well

Mine did this last Friday while going to work. SEL came on going down the the highway around 70 MPH. Got off on my exit and she was shaking bad. Didn't know if I was going to make it to work. I called Onstar and she said that it had a misfire on #5 and somthing about the coil pack. It is at that the dealer and they are checking it out. Mine is a 07 (build date of 5-2007) @ 42,000 miles. I will report back my findings. I hope it's not the head issue....
j

Old 03-01-2010, 12:43 PM

We test drove a 2008 H3 with 22,000 miles. Had a horrible vibration at idle. Was the only thing I did not like about the vehicle.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:13 PM

'09 H3 with 15k...bad vibration at idle (wheel shake). My '08 never did this.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Banned
Default crazy????

the i5 does not vibrate!!!are you guys and the dealer crazy!!!

who would drive one off the lot the way this one is described!!!

mine is the best i ever had. i could put my coffee cup on the air intake.

dont listen to the crap about an unbalaNCED 5 CLY,,,they obviously made it work like a modern motor long b4 it was EVER put into the first vehicle.

how could it be normal,,,FOR THOUSANDS OF H3'S!!!!!

SOMEONE HAS THEIR HEAD UP THEIR XXX!!

TOM

I HAD A BIG V8 WITH one BAD PLUG,,SHOOK,,,BAAAAD

Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 AM

#5 coil pack was replaced. Like new money. No shaking, very smooth.

I'm still happy with my purchase. I love this truck.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:32 PM

I'm doing the trial for Onstar I didn't know they could be that detailed about what's wrong with the car.. AWESOME!! Glad to hear you (jinmajay) got her fixed. That is def. handy feature to help someone like me communicate with the dealer about what the issue is when I normally wouldn't know.

Quick Reply: Bad vibration at idle