PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

B.U. Cam in Spare Tire Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Default B.U. Cam in Spare Tire Carrier

After backing into things a couple of times I decided to install a back-up Camera. I didn't like the license plate mounts or the trailer hitch designs. I wanted it to be mounted up higher for a better view.

I removed the spare tire and the carrier first. I took a piece of masking tape and placed it where I wanted the camera. I used a 1" circular hole saw to cut my hole for the camera. The cam was a tight fit but I used a couple of dabs of Gorilla Glue to hold it solid.

Get Some help to help you lift the carrier and run the witr thru the vent in the center of the door.

After After you have removed the jack package run your wire thru the flex duct exiting the driver's side of the door. You will need to cut a small hole in the flex-duct to exit your wire to the back-up light.

Now run the wire over to the tail light assembly that you just removed( Held by 2 screws and 2 pins). Use the 2-way electrical crimp connectors to tap the two wire going to the back-up lights.

That's it. I mounted the monitor on the dash beside the radio using double sided foam tape. I'm using the cigarette lighter for power but will later hard wire it.

One thing I don't like about this system is you have to turn it on and off when using it. It's fine in reverse but when you put it in drive the monitor loses it's signal and you get crappy snow and have to turn it off.[:@]

Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Default RE: B.U. Cam in Spare Tire Carrier

After driving around a couple of days I decided I didn't like the location of my monitor. I'm gonna raise it up higher and rotate it. You can orient the monitor image from portrait to landscape with a button on the front. Gotta get the Goo Begone out as the foam tape is a mess for clean up.[:'(]

Old 06-26-2008, 03:44 PM

Wow, that's a great install. I didn't even notice the camera the first time I looked at the top pic. Nice job with everything, great pics.

One thing I found in running wires through the rear gate vent is the dust that I get since the flap is always open when a wire's in it and there's not enough positive airflow at all times to keep air out. I had to tape down one set of ducts, where the wire goes through, to keep the dust down. Of course the dust I'm talking is serious desert offroading dust (I don't think your incredibly clean vehicle has seen that kind of dust). Since I taped it down the dust/dirt issue inside the rear tailgate has subsided.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:03 AM

Thanks Alrock. I hadn't thought about the dust but then I not into off roading. I may tape it down anyway.

Bob

Old 06-29-2008, 03:25 AM

Looks SWEET!!!! Great Job!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:09 PM

not a bad idea but i dont know about the spare tire deal or putting a hole in your cover but here is where i put mine. but i will agree yours is in great spot.......the wires are not exposed and the liscense plate screw is still reachable....i was about to drill a hole in the bumper part it is close to cause that indent in the bumper is a seperate part

Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Nice idea Bob. Great instal and pics! KUDOS!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:53 AM

ORIGINAL: rromas00

not a bad idea but i dont know about the spare tire deal or putting a hole in your cover but here is where i put mine. but i will agree yours is in great spot.......the wires are not exposed and the liscense plate screw is still reachable....i was about to drill a hole in the bumper part it is close to cause that indent in the bumper is a seperate part
I made a point that the wires be lashed down and protected. It would be pretty tough to steal mine too. What I don't like is you have to turn the monitor on to use it and off when not in use or you get a bunch of snow[:@]

Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 PM

i agree on the theft but those camera's are not that expensive anymore but that doesnt stop some people......were you able to get the tire back in with the camera there as well.....i have a blue screen when i cut it on but when i go in reverse it shows the camera.....there is a way to connect it to be powered on continuously but as i read here someone said that would probably cause shorten the life of your monitor......if anyone dont think a BU camera is a worthwhile investment check out this link....i wanted one before i seen this because of the convienence........http://rearviewsafety.com/

Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Romas,
Your link doesn't work. I wouldn't mind a blue screen but the snow drives me crazy.[:@] What brand do you have? Mine is a V3 sold at Wal Mart for $100.

Quick Reply: B.U. Cam in Spare Tire Carrier