PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Headlight System

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Default Automatic Headlight System

Has anyone defeated the dash mounted headlight sensor, by either unplugging it or in some other way?
I would like to defeat this feature. I am not sure if unplugging this sensor will cause problems in the headlights turning on or if a code would then start popping up.
There is no direct fuse dedicated to this sensor
Thanks

Last edited by wfturner; 08-02-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Update
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35 AM

sensor plugs into bcm direct, does not pass go.
conn c2,a37,a43.

dig in!

I bet it pulls UP and out,???

Last edited by happythree; 06-01-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
sensor plugs into bcm direct, does not pass go.
conn c2,a37,a43.

dig in!

I bet it pulls UP and out,???
You're too hip for me.
Are you saying the dash mounted sensor can be safely unplugged from under the dash and
all will be fine ?

Old 06-01-2013, 01:20 PM

O.K. Wil.....you got me curious. Why are you disconnecting the sensor?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:56 PM

im only giving info,i have no idea what happens. I can guess that if it were defective,(unplugged) the lights would not come on at dark.
its up to you to find out!
you should be looking at a wire diagram when you do this stuff so you can see whats there.
ive never touched a bcm. I just look stuff up in a shop manual.
I assume you want to decide when the lights come on and I can see many reasons for doing that.
but ill tell you im spoiled, when I drive my jeep its a pain to crank windows up/dn and do the lights!!

I got lazyeee

Last edited by happythree; 06-01-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 PM

I too am curious as to why you would not want the lights to automatically turn on for you

Old 06-01-2013, 07:48 PM

And if you don't want automatic headlights, why not just turn the switch to the OFF position. Voila!! No automatic headlights.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:04 PM

wfturner,if you can ignore the onlookers,let us know how it works when you pull it! I know some reasons but its not important WHY you want to,just how to do it!
it would be nice to normalize the h3 and have some control over it,for whatever reason! lights,no lights,your choice.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 PM

OK guys, here's why I don't want the lights to come on automatically. Yes, I do know that I can reach over and turn the **** to the left and the headlights will go off, but if it stays dark enough for a period of time, they just come back on.
I recently went on a road trip with a client friend and we were using the factory Navigation allot for the areas were we were not familiar.
The navigation screen kept going into night mode and it was hard to read during the daytime.
Tunnels and heavily wooded areas made this happen several times
And yes, I know I can change that to "DAY" mode easy enough, but I also do allot of driving at night and then I would have to switch back to "NIGHT" mode to not have the screen too bright at night.
Now some of you are thinking that this guys is nuts or suffers from OCD, I'm probably a little of both.
In any event, I thought that if I could defeat this dash sensor, that it would solve my problem. I personally don't have any problem turning my lights on when it's dark outside, hell I've been doing it for years.
I am going to try and pull the connector off the sensor and see what happens. I have a feeling the Happythree is probably right and the headlights won't work.
If that's the case, I will live with the way it is now. I was just hoping that some nut like me had tried this and could tell me it would work.

Last edited by wfturner; 06-01-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 PM

I didnt say they wouldn't work!!, just the auto function.
you should be able to control it yourself.

my point was that it would work just like it would if the sensor went bad.
read carefully!!

Quick Reply: Automatic Headlight System