PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another grille guard question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Default Another grille guard question

Does anyone have the OEM stainless steel grille guard that can tell me if the 2 vertical bars are stainless, or are they a chrome plated plastic cover? Here's the guard I'm referring to. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Another grille guard question-oem-s.s.-brush-guard.jpg   Another grille guard question-oem-ss-brush-guard.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 05:44 PM

Found my answer....those vertical bars are chrome plated plastic covers! And what's even more surprising is the entire assembly is chrome plated steel, NOT the polished stainless steel I thought it was. I figured the 'premium' bucks GM was charging, was for a high end product. Guess I'll keep looking (aftermarket).

Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Found my answer....those vertical bars are chrome plated plastic covers! And what's even more surprising is the entire assembly is chrome plated steel, NOT the polished stainless steel I thought it was. I figured the 'premium' bucks GM was charging, was for a high end product. Guess I'll keep looking (aftermarket).
I picked this same guard up because it was laying around a shop and got it for $250.00. The guard was made in Canada and the uprights are chrome plastic.Yes they are cheap plastic. At first I thought they where metal but it turns out they are cheap chrome plastic however the brush guard is well made and is on piece. Mine came with two right uprights, so I took them of and put some round black thick tubing on the metal uprights with ties and it looks good. The price was right at the time and I did not want to pay a crazy amount for someone to ship me one. I will try to get some picture with new molding. I think this was an early model brush guard that GM was putting on the H3's.

Attached Thumbnails Another grille guard question-dscn0931.jpg  

Last edited by ultraclassic01; 03-06-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 AM

Thanks for the pic! I probably could have lived with the chromed plastic, since there is metal structure behind them for strength, but I my biggest disappointment was finding out they were not stainless steel. I try to make sure that anything I add to my 3 is corrosion resistant. I want this truck to last as long as possible.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:02 AM

If you really want stainless, you are going to have to go with an aftermarket guard.
Steelcraft & Aries both make quality guards.

Look online for pricing, shop around, there are some places with free shipping.
Steelcraft is about $600.00 but it's really strong.
Aries is about $700.00 but looks more like the OEM design.

I've had both (in black of course ) I like the Steelcraft better.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 AM

I really want black also, but I can't find any that are stainless, in black. They all say 'powder coated steel'. I'm thinking I'll have to buy a stainless, and get it powder coated. That's probably going to add another hundred or so.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 AM

I'm not sure which guard that is but the polished SS guard that came on my Alpha was all SS even the upright covers and back side supports. You can see the unpolished SS surface on the rear. NO plastic. It said it was SS on the ticket and the back side of those upright covers looked like SS and it did not rust. The covers are welded to the upright supports which makes me think it must be metal? Took me months to sell and shipping was over $100.
Name:  DAH_0926-1.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  81.9 KB
Name:  DAH_1657-1.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  86.2 KB
Name:  DAH_1658-1.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  86.4 KB
Name:  1658.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  89.8 KB
I have a recently acquired OEM black metal brush guard with a couple of pending buyers but I need it for a mock up of a modified winch mount and metal facia to replace the plastic, for awhile.

Last edited by Hunner; 03-07-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 AM

When you say it came on your Alpha, do you mean brand new, direct from the dealership, or did you buy it used, where maybe the original owner installed it? That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Wish I knew the manufacturer.

Curious what you got for it when you sold it?

Old 03-07-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hunner
I'm not sure which guard that is but the polished SS guard that came on my Alpha was all SS even the upright covers and back side supports. You can see the unpolished SS surface on the rear. NO plastic. It said it was SS on the ticket and the back side of those upright covers looked like SS and it did not rust. The covers are welded to the upright supports which makes me think it must be metal? Took me months to sell and shipping was over $100.

I have a recently acquired OEM black metal brush guard with a couple of pending buyers but I need it for a mock up of a modified winch mount and metal facia to replace the plastic, for awhile.
Thats the same one I have on my Alpha. I ordered mine from the dealer and they installed. All SS.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 PM

Halo, check these out. Including the black ALUMINUM guard.

H3 Brush Guards

Quick Reply: Another grille guard question