PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Amost died in my H3 last night

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Default Amost died in my H3 last night

I have a 4 gauge wires running my audio system through a digital cap and to amplifier
i removed my subwoofer box becuase i had to transport a 50 inch tv to girlfriends house who lives in NYC.
i left the digital cap and amp connected .. LAzy
on my way there i hit a pothole on the highway (FDR) Which caused the two wires on the terminals touch ( Power and Ground)

I heard the sparks and knew i needed to stop Right away .. Suddently smoke was coming from the back seat... My friend who was the passanger turned around and started screaming... In matter of a second inside of my car was engulfed in BLACK TOXIC SMOKE ... I Help my breathe for as long as i could but coulded becuase i already inhaled the smoke my friend stuck his body out side the car , i opened my door driving 100 mph desprately trying to stay alive to next exit .. Eyes tearing, being blinded cuase of the black thick smoke, Cars behind us beeping ... i was littery sufforcating in my H3 by the time we got to the next exit we both ran out the car i quickly i went to the back to remove the wire and burned my hand cuase they were so hot....

Damages: Thank God only the Cargo Mat caught on fire

Now My Car has the toxic Smell that lingers inside and will be in there for a while....

Just wanted to share my experience

This all could of been avoided if i removed the audio system completely and i knew my terminals were loose from the capacitor..

Anyone who has audio systems justcheck to see once in a while that everything is okay and no possible chances could happen.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Default RE: Amost died in my H3 last night

Wow that really sucks. Why didn't you just pull off onto the shoulder instead of driving to an exit?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:08 PM

WOW! Glad to hear that no one ended up hurt or in the hospital. Thanks for sharing the experience, one that hopefully no one else needs to go...............

Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 PM

there is no shooulder on the FDR its a 2 lane highway
i actually crashed my Honda on it in March and then i decided to get an H3

Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

So, instead of opening the door at 100MPH, why didn't you just open the windows and then stop the car Maybe you need a Prius instead buddy

Seriously though, we are glad you are OK. I had that happen also to an amp I had under the seat of my Rodeo. One day it just started smoking, and you kinda panic and aren't in your right frame of mind, soI understand what you felt 100%. But I don't know about that opening the door thing dude

Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 PM

I forgot to mention i crashed my Honda on that very same Highway

Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 PM

Anyone who reads this should always fuse the power wire at the battery. That would have prevented this from happening.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:32 PM

all windows were open i couldnt breathe i had to open my door i was suffercating ... There was so much smoke
I couldnt stop on the Highway cuase that highway is know for accidents
I crashed my honda few months ago cuase a car was stopped ( 5 car pile up )

To add on the Damages i have a nice Burned trail of wire under the rear seats of my car
ill post pictures uplater

Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 PM

i had fuse 4 gauge and then split into a distrubuion block with fuses to 8 Gauge

it wasnt the wiring it was the Capictor the terminals moved touched together ...

Old 07-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Dude, you sound like you could be a long-lost brother of mine

Yeah, why didn't you have a fuse? It would have blown instantly. You had all that audio equipment and no fuse?

Quick Reply: Amost died in my H3 last night