PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Alpha Vs. 3.7L question

Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 AM

Just listening to the rumble of the Alpha engine as it idles on your driveway is reason enough to buy one.

The key is to being patient and waiting to find one with the right mileage at the price you want to pay. It takes time but it can happen.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by stevek813
Just listening to the rumble of the Alpha engine as it idles on your driveway is reason enough to buy one.

The key is to being patient and waiting to find one with the right mileage at the price you want to pay. It takes time but it can happen.
I wasn't even looking for one, but wanted to test drive an Alpha. WE talked to a salesman that had an 07 H3 because we drove the 06 up there. He was like my 07 won't even do this. He was impressed with the Alpha. it was a low mileage truck. We bought it even though it was a little more than I was willing to pay.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
I have had a 3.5 a 3.7 and now the 5.3. With a pcmofnc tune, Airdoc intake and a Magnaflow catback exhaust on the 3.7, as far as the drivability goes, it's not a whole lot different than the stock 5.3. The 5.3 of course doesn't work as hard and I don't tow. Just all depends on how you use it. Fuel mileage difference is 1.5 mpg or less. I liked all 3 of them.
I have heard that before - I really need to get busy and get an Airdoc/pcmforless tune. Undecided on the exhaust, I'm not sure it does much other than improve the sound.

Originally Posted by stevek813
Can't argue with that. I do miss the sound of a v8 in my daily driver.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 PM

I felt lucky to find an 08 Alpha w/68000 miles and from looking at the underbelly never been abused offroad. I bought the Alpha because I needed the towing capacity. Love it so far.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 PM

don't get me wrong I wish mine was an alpha but there are non around here, I've only seen a couple ever in person, there was only one hummer dealer around here and it was 50 mins away, but my 3.7 does fine, although I get 35s tomorrow so that may change.

It feels that it has a lot more power even compared to my fiancé's v6 nitro 4x4, and she only gets 1mpg better.

I know somewhere I have an old motor trend laying around of their first test with the H3T alpha and they were not impressed with it saying it is horribly governed back. I'll try to find it and look up the quote.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:32 AM

PCM Tuning helps a lot

Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM

I agree with most everyone... I've had the Alpha and the I5. I prefer the Alpha. You can do so much more with the Alpha and it's 5.3 as far as performance goes. I have the I5 right now only because it has everything the wifey wanted, mainly the factory warranty still. If I was do buy another one just for me, it would be the Alpha. With 60 more hp, and 70+ flb what's not to love. The 1 mpg less maybe?
I will say I do like the 456's the I5 has in it, but with the power of the V8 the 410 are great as well.
I also like the sound of the Alpha vs the I5 as well. As far as resale... From what I've seen the alpha sales are better, and they are by far harder to find.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 AM

I love my 08 Alpha !!!! I got mine about a year ago it had 23k on it( I got mine at exHummer dealership), the original owner had 5 other rides, his father owns 45 car dealerships in the northeast. I waited 3 years to find the right one, I could of brought 7 great Non Alpha's in that time. I had two salesman looking from two diffrent exHummer dealerships looking for me. I got a call at 10am to tell me the dealerships son just drop off his Alpha to be sold and to get down there ASAP before it hits the lot, "becase it's very special" I left work and brought by 11am.
great ones are out there you just need to have help to find it

Old 04-13-2013, 05:25 PM

I love my H3 I-5 but if I decide to go boating again I will buy an Alpha. I wanted a 4x4 with a frame that would fit in my garage. I am going to buy a trailer to pull behind it because I cant even go to Lowes to get anything.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
I have heard that before - I really need to get busy and get an Airdoc/pcmforless tune. Undecided on the exhaust, I'm not sure it does much other than improve the sound.

Can't argue with that. I do miss the sound of a v8 in my daily driver.
My I-5 has the Gibson extreme dual exhaust, and I like the look and sound. I have been looking at the same one for the Alpha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alpha Vs. 3.7L question