PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alpha Vs. 3.7L question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Default Alpha Vs. 3.7L question

For the 2008 model, is there any reason not to buy an alpha over the 3.7?

I assume:

1. A bit lower MPG
2. A bit higher mantenance costs (V8 vs. I5)
3. A bit higher buying price and probaly bit more depreciation when selling

Anthing else?

If that is it, I believe the additional power / torque and some upgrades I learned about, more than offset the difference.

Would like to hear your comments.

Thank you

Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM

Buy the alpha. Or, regret that you didn't...

I got hung up on wanting a manual. If I had it to do over, I would either buy an alpha or something else entirely.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM

I don't regret buying a 3.7, just finding a H3T Adventure locally and in my price range was hard enough - had I held out for the Alpha I might STILL be waiting. However, in your case looking at an H3 I'd definitely go with the Alpha. MPG difference (on paper) isn't much at all. Maint costs are going to be about the same unless you need a new engine or something, and if/when you go to sell it the Alpha will be easier to sell.

I don't know if you'd end up regretting getting the I5 as JDuncan says, I know I don't regret my purchase, but if you can get the Alpha it's a better way to go.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I purchased a used 2008 Alpha last Sept that had 60k miles on it to pull behind my motor home. Works well as a toad.

Just made a long trip and fuel mileage was 14 mpg @ 80 mph, 15 mpg @ 75 mph and 16 mpg @ 70 mph. Not too bad for a vehicle of this type and weight. It hugs the road and is very comfortable to drive.

I now have about 63k miles on it. We are staying in Houston so I can get my cancer treatment, but we reside in Florida panhandle. If my schedule allows me to return home and commute back and forth to Houston, then both my motor home and my H3 will be up for sale. We hope to know this early next week.

For commuting around town and towing, cannot be beat. For long commutes daily, would not recommend due to lower fuel mileage.

This H3 has never been off road.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Regards

WBaird

Old 04-08-2013, 11:05 AM

I don't regret passing on the Alpha all of the time. I bought the truck I wanted. I just wish I had spent more time with it prior to actually purchasing it so I would truly understand what I wanted vs what I was getting.

If I could use the cruise control on my 3.7L with consistency, I'd probably be a great deal happier with it. As the truck cannot pull its own weight in 5th gear going up a hill on the interstate, this is not the case. The MPG of the 3.7L over the Alpha is no great improvement either, even when coupled with the manual.

I don't regret buying an H3. I'd just lean towards the Alpha if I had it to do again.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 PM

I have had a 3.5 a 3.7 and now the 5.3. With a pcmofnc tune, Airdoc intake and a Magnaflow catback exhaust on the 3.7, as far as the drivability goes, it's not a whole lot different than the stock 5.3. The 5.3 of course doesn't work as hard and I don't tow. Just all depends on how you use it. Fuel mileage difference is 1.5 mpg or less. I liked all 3 of them.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 04-08-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sgill
For the 2008 model, is there any reason not to buy an alpha over the 3.7?

I assume:

1. A bit lower MPG
2. A bit higher mantenance costs (V8 vs. I5)
3. A bit higher buying price and probaly bit more depreciation when selling

Anthing else?

If that is it, I believe the additional power / torque and some upgrades I learned about, more than offset the difference.

Would like to hear your comments.

Thank you
Opposite on depreciation. 3.7's are easy to find. Try to find an affordable low mileage Alpha. I think you will see Alphas continue to hold their value better than 3.7's.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:29 PM

I have driven both extensively. Honestly the 5 is perfectly fine if you don't expect it to be fast or powerful. It'll get where it's going, it's reasonable on gas and isn't expensive to maintain. It's VERY similar to the 3.7 in the jeep jk. Just good enough. Add bigger tires and its less happy.

If you want responsiveness, the inherent smoothness of the vortec v8, and a more relaxed driving experience, the 8 is the only choice.

I bought an alpha.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 PM

I have a highly modified I-5 and an Alpha, and I wish I would have found the alpha the first time. The amount of money I have just in motor mods on the I-5 would have given me a lot of other upgrades. The only time I have gotten less than 16 mpgs out of my alpha was running 80 into 30mph head winds that was with four adults in it.
buy the alpha

Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 AM

We have had both. Prefer the Alpha because we have extensive and heavy mods done to them which takes away the oomph the I5 had from the factory.

It all depends on what you want and can afford. Not adding weight to it, the I5 H3 or H3T is not bad at all.

Quick Reply: Alpha Vs. 3.7L question