PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alpha Exhaust Real World Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 AM
Default no problem...happy to help out

We are the same animal....want more power...power power power...but cats due play a vital role in the whole scheme of things...its not like back in the 80's when you could simply take off the complete exhaust system and put on a dual exhaust from the manifold back...I remember my 1980 camaro...it had a 305 2 barrel....did so many mods to it that when i was driving and stamped on the gas pedal...yes actually in motion, and put the pedal to the floor, the tires would actually chirp because of the huge power....noawdays, everything works with everything...microchips, ecm ..on and on...so computerized that unless you are a computer whiz kid, you have to go with proven and tested power increases such as cat back system...all the best..Sam

Attached Thumbnails Alpha Exhaust Real World Question-cam00054.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM

UPDATE: I am having a tough time finding someone in Phoenix willing to remove the cat. Does anyone know someone in the phoenix metro area that might help me out? Thanks.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by 8lug
UPDATE: I am having a tough time finding someone in Phoenix willing to remove the cat. Does anyone know someone in the phoenix metro area that might help me out? Thanks.
Your best bet is a shop that does exhaust work for non-street vehicles, such as a race or 4x4 shop. The legality is questionable on removing the cat, so you usually want to ask them to replace the cat with a "test pipe." To imply that you are only removing the cat when you are offroad, and replacing it for on-road use. Which as I understand is exactly what you are doing.

We did a few different cars like this at the shop I used to work at. Basically removing the cat and welding flanges to it and the exhaust pipe, and the same style flanges to both ends of a straight (test) pipe. That way the owner can unbolt and swap the cat and test pipe for on and offroad.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM

Excellent advise. Thank you!