PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Alignment/suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Banned
Default silence

end of day one,,,119

Old 10-01-2011, 11:58 PM

I do not need someone to agree with me to know when I am right. I have all these fancy pieces of paper on my wall that say something about automotive technology among other things as well as 20 years as an ase certified master tech. I may have seen those shocky suspension thingys once or twice in my time.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Banned

if shocks change ride height 1/16 of an inch id be looking for a defect.

Last edited by drtom; 10-02-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:57 AM

Didn't mean to start an argument, but at least there's passion !!

Dr. Have to say that shocks did increase height. Just a fact, observed with my own eyes.

This is how I'd describe it. If you took a shock in your hand, put one end on the ground and compressed it, then put a glass of water on the other end, would it lift the glass of water? Yes. Reason? The energy stored on the shock was more than amount needed to lift the weight of the glass of water.

My OEM shocks were toast, damn near nothing left. This allowed my front end to sag just a bit as the shocks were not strong enough. When I added new, much stronger shocks, they did not allow the sag, thus lift.

Again, didn't want any arguements between fellow owners, but it did increase the height. Now, group hug???

Old 10-02-2011, 04:23 AM
rsc

What you are probably seeing is that the old shocks were worn out and had little dampening left in them allowing the springs to find normal height quickly. With new shocks there may be a little stiction and stiffer valving that lightly resists the springs finding that same normal height by a 1/4" inch up or down. You can test that by pushing down on the front end and measuring and them lifting up on the front end and then remeasuring, the two will probably be 1/2" off and if you park on an incline you will have more weight on one end or the other that will load or unload the springs. If you were to measure heading down slope and then again facing up slope you would also see a difference. New shocks won't "lift" the suspension but they may "hold" the front higher until something overcomes the stiction or dampening resisting the springs.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Banned

What you are probably seeing is that the old shocks were worn out and had little dampening left in them allowing the springs to find normal height quickly. With new shocks there may be a little stiction and stiffer valving that lightly resists the springs finding that same normal height by a 1/4" inch up or down. You can test that by pushing down on the front end and measuring and them lifting up on the front end and then remeasuring, the two will probably be 1/2" off and if you park on an incline you will have more weight on one end or the other that will load or unload the springs. If you were to measure heading down slope and then again facing up slope you would also see a difference. New shocks won't "lift" the suspension but they may "hold" the front higher until something overcomes the stiction or dampening resisting the springs.
!!!DITTOS!!! exactly right

YOU just saved me all the work i planned to do today(heavy lifting!) to get that point across.

also consider the friction in the suspension parts as u lift and push down,,,AND, if you dont drive it or at least move it after "cranking t bars" the tires are stuck in their original position,which will change ever so slightly.

i dread mentioning "the book",but it says to "jounce" the bumper 3 times,let it settle, measure, do that three times and average out the measurments.

obviously the suspension is "sticky business"!!

tnx rsc for clarifing

Last edited by drtom; 10-02-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 AM

Ive read through this now, and before I add anything, which shocks did you have and which ones replaced it? The base model came w/ different shocks than the adventure models, and if you replaced it with the Bilstein Cognitos I believe they are actually longer than stock shocks, as well as better performance...

Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 AM

What kind of shocks did you put on?

Old 10-02-2011, 04:28 PM

Thats what I wasmtrying to say, without the technical jargon...

As for model, dont know how to tell base from adventure on a preowned 2007.

I put SkyJacker Nitro 8000 fronts, and will do same to backs when they arrive.