airdoc or custom version question - Page 2 - Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

My previous highly sarcastic comment was to point out that the simplistic approach to making your own intake (ie. attach any pipe from one end to the other) does not make a performance intake. It still lets air move from point A to B, but not much more unless you stumbled upon a positive result by complete coincidence.

It takes air flow data and tuning to achieve maximum efficiency with each application, from a flow bench. Time is money, one of them there flow bench machines ain't cheap.

Example: the OEM accordion couplers are atrocious for air flow, but hey, the factory used them because they suited their purpose... it lets air through.

Anyways, carry on folks. I applaud people on efforts to make there own however they do it and whatever it is. That is the very definition of an enthusiast.

Besides, look at it this way, you have to polish off a can of Pringles to test it as an intake. Beer cans anyone?

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:35 AM

Dilly, Dilly! Yup, that accordion coupler is the biggest issue, but it does allow for movement between the engine and the airbox, which is why manufacturers use them in pretty much all vehicles.

I'd be interested in seeing the flow bench numbers comparing stock to the Airdoc. Heck I'd even like to see if my resonator removal made any difference at all in airflow. My guess is that the resonator is probably less of a disruption than the accordion, so the elimination of that accordion is what actually results in the biggest improvement in flow for the Airdoc, although it does all work together. Just a guess.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 05-16-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:51 AM

Edited: Not Worth it

Last edited by TAINTER; 05-16-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Not Worth it
Old 05-17-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAINTER View Post
Edited: Not Worth it
Hope it wasn't me that caused your angst, but...

Last edited by 650Hawk; 05-17-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650Hawk View Post
Hope it wasn't me that caused your angst, but...
Nope, not you hawk.