PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

airdoc or custom version question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

My previous highly sarcastic comment was to point out that the simplistic approach to making your own intake (ie. attach any pipe from one end to the other) does not make a performance intake. It still lets air move from point A to B, but not much more unless you stumbled upon a positive result by complete coincidence.

It takes air flow data and tuning to achieve maximum efficiency with each application, from a flow bench. Time is money, one of them there flow bench machines ain't cheap.

Example: the OEM accordion couplers are atrocious for air flow, but hey, the factory used them because they suited their purpose... it lets air through.

Anyways, carry on folks. I applaud people on efforts to make there own however they do it and whatever it is. That is the very definition of an enthusiast.

Besides, look at it this way, you have to polish off a can of Pringles to test it as an intake. Beer cans anyone?

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:35 AM

Dilly, Dilly! Yup, that accordion coupler is the biggest issue, but it does allow for movement between the engine and the airbox, which is why manufacturers use them in pretty much all vehicles.

I'd be interested in seeing the flow bench numbers comparing stock to the Airdoc. Heck I'd even like to see if my resonator removal made any difference at all in airflow. My guess is that the resonator is probably less of a disruption than the accordion, so the elimination of that accordion is what actually results in the biggest improvement in flow for the Airdoc, although it does all work together. Just a guess.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 05-16-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:51 AM

Edited: Not Worth it

Last edited by TAINTER; 05-16-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Not Worth it
Old 05-17-2018, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Edited: Not Worth it
Hope it wasn't me that caused your angst, but...

Last edited by 650Hawk; 05-17-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
Hope it wasn't me that caused your angst, but...
Nope, not you hawk.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 AM

I hae had two different H3's. One with a custom intake similar to what OP is mentioning.... Other has the Airdoc.
I run the apps to monitor and scan my vehicles...always keeping an eye on things.
I can honestly say the Airdoc outperforms the other 2 setups I had. I just recently ordered another one to replace the 3" pipe bit . By the time I got done modifying and changing the home made set up.... I spent well over $120 anyways. Imho having that larger diameter in the Airdoc matters!

I know what your thinking....i was once in same position... But the plastic stuff leaks eventually you have vacuum leaks to deal with .

Go with the Airdoc. I have seen an improvement in performance on the highways too. Good luck .

Old 05-25-2018, 08:21 AM

Well you guys are swaying me to the airdoc one.
Theres no other company who has the 3.5 size pipe made for our vehicles?

Also with the airdoc it includes the hose and connection on the pipe as i dont see that in pictures or there parts listing of it being included nor needed it??

Old 05-25-2018, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by blazed16
Well you guys are swaying me to the airdoc one.
Theres no other company who has the 3.5 size pipe made for our vehicles?

Also with the airdoc it includes the hose and connection on the pipe as i dont see that in pictures or there parts listing of it being included nor needed it??

I cant say for sure if having that line runnung into the intake is better than a breather filter standing alone or not . but i had the filter by itself oruor to the Airdoc ....
For me it made a big difference . the combo of extra 1/2" tube and direct vacuum on the crank case . I spent about $130 ish . On Spectre tubes and other home made attempts ..lol .
on the highway I see drastic gains . truck cruises at 85 like it used to at 70 .
I hear the original air box may be better than what i use ( K&N ) I woukd keep that in place for now . I may put mine back and see if it matters .
Good luck .

Old 05-26-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by JerseyCoast
I cant say for sure if having that line runnung into the intake is better than a breather filter standing alone or not . but i had the filter by itself oruor to the Airdoc ....
For me it made a big difference . the combo of extra 1/2" tube and direct vacuum on the crank case . I spent about $130 ish . On Spectre tubes and other home made attempts ..lol .
on the highway I see drastic gains . truck cruises at 85 like it used to at 70 .
I hear the original air box may be better than what i use ( K&N ) I woukd keep that in place for now . I may put mine back and see if it matters .
Good luck .
So does the airdoc pipe have the nipple for the hose? I missed that in your comment lol.