Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   airdoc or custom version question (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/airdoc-custom-version-question-39744/)

blazed16 05-09-2018 03:52 PM

airdoc or custom version question

Hey yall so 2007 hummer here and i want to get rid of the intake resonator. Did some research and used another thread but they say to use 3 inch pvc and 3 inch couplers and then heater hose.

Issue is the pvc 3 inch pipe connects to the throttle body no issues but the hose coming off the intake box is bigger then 3 inch and there for a big gap when the pvc pipe connects.

What have you all done with a DIY? Id buy the airdoc love the look of it but being in canada and after conversion its over $200 and its a piece of pipe. I cant fine a used one so rather do a DIY and put the extra cash to something else for the H3

So anyone with info on this or to point me in the right direction that be great.

07 h3 i5 3.7 engine.

Happy Hummer 05-09-2018 05:11 PM

I'd spend some time on YouTube watching videos on diy intakes.

blazed16 05-09-2018 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer (Post 351956)
I'd spend some time on YouTube watching videos on diy intakes.

Any to recommend? I watched 2 i found and the info i got was 3 inch pipe 3 inch couplers but the hose from the intake box is bigger then 3 inch and so gap to the pipe so confused me lol.

TAINTER 05-10-2018 12:07 PM

buy an AirDoc

650Hawk 05-10-2018 05:34 PM

Cut the resonator portion off of the stock intake and cover it with a piece of aluminum or plastic, glued/riveted in place.

Doc Olds 05-11-2018 09:04 AM

Use a Pringles can, old gym socks and rubber bands.

Go downtown and hang out wit da hood open and show em you style. :cool:

650Hawk 05-14-2018 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds (Post 351982)

Gee, Doc, hope that's tongue-in-cheek...otherwise it's pretty harsh. No shame in wanting to save some money. The Airdoc, while very nice, just doesn't justify the price, IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice. But as a family man with lots of other toys to maintain, it's just too much money for me to spend on what is essentially a tube and 2 couplers. Here's mine, cost= $0, and no, it's not a pringles can.:eek:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...6edaf7e5a5.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...39c7cccde2.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...b9f5bee711.jpg

I actually was kind of forced to do this, as I was chasing down a wiring harness problem that would rear it's head while driving off-road. I needed to wiggle the wiring on top of the engine, while it was running, to zero in on the problem. Unfortunately, the resonator blocked access to that entire section of the harness, and since the truck wouldn't run with the intake tube/resonator removed, I had to come up with an alternative. Already had the 1/8" plastic, the pop rivets, the silicone... Zero cost, and it fits perfectly (of course), and accomplishes pretty much what your Airdoc does.

Of course, the I5 is different than the V8, but the same principals apply; get rid of the bulky restrictive resonator and provide a smoother path for the intake air, from air filter to throttle body.

TAINTER 05-15-2018 01:30 PM

Nice removal of the intake resonator.

But you are not really solving the issue of the restriction @ the 90 degree bend where the underside is bowed up into less than 2.5".

650Hawk 05-15-2018 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER (Post 352039)
Nice removal of the intake resonator.

But you are not really solving the issue of the restriction @ the 90 degree bend where the underside is bowed up into less than 2.5".

True. But that existing 90 degree bend, while shorter (top to bottom), still maintains closer to the 4" in width, as opposed to the 3.5" diameter of the Airdoc. That means that there is not alot of difference in the actual cross sectional volume at that point, and that "bow" is smooth. I actually think that the "bellows" section of the stock intake right at the airbox is more of a "flow" hindrance than the smooth bowed up portion at the elbow; The Airdoc certainly eliminates that bellow, although I'm not sure that's the best idea, as the bellow allows more movement between the engine in it's rubber motor mounts vs the fixed airbox than a short silicone coupler allows.

Again, for me, it was simply a means to access/manipulate the wiring on top of the engine WHILE it was running, nothing more.

blazed16 05-15-2018 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds (Post 351982)

Well if spending $$$ on a pipe is your thing then all to yea but the pringles can and comment is not needed.
A helpful answer would of been nice or no comment at all.
I know you have helpful answers as your have helped before.

Originally Posted by 650Hawk (Post 352045)
True. But that existing 90 degree bend, while shorter (top to bottom), still maintains closer to the 4" in width, as opposed to the 3.5" diameter of the Airdoc. That means that there is not alot of difference in the actual cross sectional volume at that point, and that "bow" is smooth. I actually think that the "bellows" section of the stock intake right at the airbox is more of a "flow" hindrance than the smooth bowed up portion at the elbow; The Airdoc certainly eliminates that bellow, although I'm not sure that's the best idea, as the bellow allows more movement between the engine in it's rubber motor mounts vs the fixed airbox than a short silicone coupler allows.

Again, for me, it was simply a means to access/manipulate the wiring on top of the engine WHILE it was running, nothing more.

Yea i saw this picture in another thread i like how yall come up with your own thing and it works. Myself im not that inclined to do something and just hope its right or good and rather ask for some opinions or ideas and i do have the i5 so this would be different on mine.

I was hopeing there was a different pipe or brand that sold the correct pipe or a really good DIY or part list and items to get.
Rather put the $$$ i save on a pipe and put towards something else useful on the H3 but would really like to get rid of that resonator :)

Common guys and gals i know yall with the I5 have done something besides the air doc :)