PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Airaid intake and throttle body install

Old 08-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Default Airaid intake and throttle body install

I just installed the airaid throttle body and intake. Took under an hour and all appears to be correct. I started the Hummer and they is a faint whining sound from the throttle body. Now, the important question: Will I get better performance(gas mileage and power) or this this strictly for show?

Old 08-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Airaid intake and throttle body install

Let us know. Good Luck.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:24 AM

ORIGINAL: topcarbon

I just installed the airaid throttle body and intake. Took under an hour and all appears to be correct. I started the Hummer and they is a faint whining sound from the throttle body. Now, the important question: Will I get better performance(gas mileage and power) or this this strictly for show?
Well, if the throttle body has bigger ports/jets then it may consume a little of the "saved" gas to make a little more power by dumping a little more fuel. The intake will probably make up for some, or even all of it. So, you could end up with a bit more power, and a slight, to zero gain in mpg.. depending.

Better air in (free flow intake), and better air out (free flow exhuast) will gain some power and mileage. Anytime you start dumping more fuel via a chip or reprogram, or larger throttle body, then you run the risk of not gaining MPG, with the gained power. But, that's perfectly acceptable to many.

Did Airaid make any claims of what to expect from the new throttle body and intake?

Old 08-09-2006, 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Fireman

Did Airaid make any claims of what to expect from the new throttle body and intake?

Of course. Better colder air reduces heat and increases miles per galln. The throttle body doesnt increase the diameter, it increses the length. Inside there are grooves(like a bolt) that produce a swirling affest on the air which does something to the power. I am not a smart car guy. I am just happy I did it myself and I didnt break anything or strip anything or have to do it over.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

That's how you learn about cars, by doing things yourself and taking a chance. Most people say the throttle body spacer doesn't do anything, but, I will probably get one anyway, because I love to tweak and test things. We are anxious to hear if you have or notice any performance/mileage increases.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:21 PM

I'm one that is skeptical about those TBSers..I think they are a glorified Turbonator/Tornado contraption..So Like Mike, Let us know if you sense or see a difference.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a skeptic about everything, but for some reason, I still do it. Why? Because there is ALWAYS hope, and because Sucker is my middle name

Old 08-09-2006, 12:58 PM

I would never have purchased the spacer but I was looking for an after market CAI and found the Airaid duo for $125. Why not try it. If it doesnt do anything, I have an anodized red doohicky in the engine that most dont. One thing that I do notice is there seems to be more lowerend constant power through accelleration. Plus, the air induction is louder than stock. Next, I am going to put a magnaflow exhaust on, but wanted to wait to see if there is any difference. I will keep you posted on real gains.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

It is probably restricting air flow. Did you JUST get the spacer, or was there something else that came in the package?

Old 08-09-2006, 01:32 PM

I dont see how it would restrict airflow. The spacer is the same diameter as the throttle body. what it does(supposedly) is create a cicular air flow from the grooves cut in the extension. Lets see if there is a difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airaid intake and throttle body install