PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Air Doc...worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Default Air Doc...worth the money?

I just want to get an opinion from all the owners of the Air Doc intake. Ive talked to the manufacturer, and I belive its a quality product, Im just trying to figure out if its actually worth the money. Product is 150 bucks plus 27 bucks for shipping for me (and considering Im in Canada Ill have to pay taxes and duties....another 50 bucks). All in all 230 US.

I recently purchases OEM replacement K&N filter. Ive found apsolutely no difference. Does anyone have hard number on the difference with stock intake pipe and air doc pipe. Again, Im not questioning the quality of the product, Im just wondering if it will actually make a difference for US$230 dollars. Im not talking just HP here, but also MPG difference (if any)

Thank you,

Marko

Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 PM

I notice a difference, I think its worth it

Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 PM

I was really hoping for some hard numbers.......

Does it make any difference in engine sound? I think the sound is just right, and I dont really want it any louder.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 AM

I had one on my 2006 3.5 and on my 2008 3.7. No noticable NOISE difference between it and the factory resonator box at normal acceleration. I have no real numbers to back up a performance difference, but I can feel it in the seat of my pants. Pickup seems to be quicker and when you really need to get into the throttle, there is a noticable difference. I have had mine on and off a couple of times just to see if it was just my imagination or if it really makes a difference and I alway end up putting it back on. I also have a Magnaflow Catback and I am planning to get a PCMtuneforless shortly. I wouldn't be without one, the Airdoc intake that is. They say the same thing about the PCM tune.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by yuflesh
Im not talking just HP here, but also MPG difference (if any)

Thank you,

Marko
As far as mileage? I also have 35s w/cranked Tbars. Well we got it on and gas dropped to $1.89. So I can't keep my foot off the skinny pedal. I drive 75-90mph on the highway and getting up to speed is more fun! Good news is that I'm still getting the same mileage I was before when I use to try and conserve gas!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Default Air doc worth the money

I have an 08 Alpha with the 3.5 V8 and just installed mine. Not having a dynomometer to test the vehicle on I have no emperical evidence but I have oticed a difference in the acceleration. No rough engine idle. Easy to install. Also add a K&N performance filter.

As far a mpg have not had it on long enough to tell.

Hope this helps

provenceman

Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 PM

so basically everyone is saying they can feel the difference, but nobody, including the manufacturer doesn't have any hard proof.

I think this product would sell better if someone partnered with manufacturer (or manufacturer himself) did a proper dyno, so the product can be backed up by some numbers.

I will take the print out of this product to my GM dealer in the next few days and see if this would void warranty if installed.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:07 AM

There is little difference from Airdoc's and the one GM sells for the 06 and 07 with the exception that Doc's will give you more airflow on the intake side of the airbox and his tube is larger. Both have a straight tube from the air box to the throttle body intake with a high flow filter (included in GM's) and recommended by Doc. GM's has a chrome air box cover and is 3 times as expensive. Functionally they work the same. Your GM dealer will likely tell you if it is not their aftermarket product it could void your warranty which is BS. They would have to prove that the aftemarket product caused the problem which they could not because this particular product is functionally the same as their product only better. GM does not list a performance intake for the 08 and 09 models. Doc does. Some dealers will give you a hassle and other's will not. The first time I took mine in for a warranty issue, I put my factory setup back on just in case. Since then, I have left it on because I like it and it will never cause any issues.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

What is "hard Proof"? Dyno numbers are really useless. Dynos are gonna show you the same thing everybody elses intake dyno numbers show, at WOT 6100 RPM, there will be a nice improvement. The trick is to make at the mid range with a consisten upward slope to WOT.

Let me start by saying the only AWD dyno in the Detroit area went out of business over two years ago. The next closest dyno I know of is over four hours one way. I chose not to invest 8+ hours of seat time to put some #s on a piece of paper.

Simple mathematical factoid. You cannot feel any butt dyno improvement in a 5000# brick until you produce 10HP/TQ+. To feel it, it has to be where we use it, starting at the mid range punch.

We did test a 2006 3.5L Canyon in 2WD at the now out of business engine building shop across the street. We have learned much more from flow testing and volume of air movement than a dyno will ever show. BTW... nobody ever asked us for dyno #s, and I do not push them.

Peak HP/TQ changes 2006 3.5L Canyon completely stock at 5800RPM:
Stock with K&N filter only.................... 5HP/7TQ more than I woulda bet?
Add AirDoc H367 ............................... 15HP/17TQ
Subtract the K&N and use stock filter... 9HP/11TQ

Different day, we ran the H367 same truck with a
Fram AirHog filter .............................. 15HP/14TQ.

We worked hard to bring most of that early at 3800 RPM with a falling off slope. The more displacement and/or cylinders, the more improvement you will get.

The real hard proof IMHO is sand drags, two H3s (an 06 and an 07) stock, one 2007 with the H367. It ain't hard to figure which has the intake. These are good friends, and I assure you they were trying their best to kick my butt. Note the V8 Silverado, I could almost get him too. We did this three times, the results were always the same.
Name:  P1000417.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  P1000418.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  P1000419.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  P1000420.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  58.8 KB

Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 PM

Nice post DOC. I'm convinced. So, what's recommended for H2 w/ 6.2L?

Quick Reply: Air Doc...worth the money?