PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket tail light problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Default Aftermarket tail light problem

Hey all,

I purchased the smoked tails made by Spyder Auto last year. Makes the truck look great. Problem I am now having is that the connector (3157 male adapter) from the tail light assembly which plugs into the factory socket of the truck has became corroded. I tried to hardwire the lights in after I saw the corroded connector was causing me issues. The assembly has 3 wires, a red, white, and black wire with the 3157 male end on them. I cut the wires to the harness on the truck (blue, brown, and black) which ran the brake light bulbs. I bought bullet connectors and twisted the brown and blue together, twisted the red and white together (on tail light assembly) and connected them all with a bullet connector; connected black to black with a bullet connector as well. All seemed to be working with the exception of the tail light staying lit when the parking lamps are on or when lights are on anytime (at night I'm riding with one tail lit and the other off until I brake or use the turn signal); the other strange thing it is now doing is, when I use the turn signal on the side with the tail light that I hard-wired, my license plate light will blink with the turn signal and not remain lit either.

I thought this would be a simple fix as the manufacturer does not seem to want to replace the lights (bought in july of 2013). Any suggestions to what in the world I did wrong. My last resort will be to reinstall the factory tails but I've really gotten use to the look of my LED smoked tails.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:59 PM

You have a shorted wire. GL

#aid=P-R7E62WgwQ

Last edited by hummerz; 04-13-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Turned out that I had a blown fuse but also the tail light went bad and probably is shorted on the ciruit board from water. Called the company to see if they will replace them as it's been less than a year that i've had them installed.