PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Affordable Fender Flares???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Default Affordable Fender Flares???

Is there anywhere I can get fender flares that aren't set at some astronomical price? For some reason I cant bring myself to pend $400 or more for a few pieces of plastic keep the side of my car clean but I really need them because this mud is getting pretty ridiculous. It rains a lot here and there is always dirt and rocks and water flying up behind me. I really don't want to bust out a windshield.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:32 PM

A guy on one of the Hummer forums used some plastic garden edging (see link) and fastened around the wheel well opening. If you're looking for 'cheap' this might be the way to go. He posted some pics when it was finished and it didn't look as bad as you might think. You could always remove the screws and take it off if you didn't like it because the screw holes are on the underside of the well opening.
Vigoro 20 ft. Plastic Lawn Edging-VIG-20C at The Home Depot

Old 05-20-2013, 01:37 PM

Haha wow this is actually a good idea. Not the answer I was looking but definitely a big help. I am going to look into this. I don't know why they are so expensive in the first place. It is just a fitted piece of plastic right? Its not carbon fiber or some kind of reinforced, indestructible plastic.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:19 PM

I wouldn't go the garden edging route, but you can buy universal fender flares. Here is a pic of rubber Pacer Flexy Flares, what I'll probably go with when I'm ready for new wheels (and need flares to stay legal):

Under $100 for a set of 4.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:30 PM

For $100 that's definitely the way to go to keep the price down.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
For $100 that's definitely the way to go to keep the price down.
Cheap, and probably look cheap as well. Still, compared to $400+ and they probably won't look THAT bad... I think if you get the right ones (which ever those are) and take the time to install them correctly they should be ok. I googled up some pics, some installs actually fairly nice but others look pretty crap.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM

i found some on ebay last week and jumped on them quick. 2 1/2'' street scene sport fender flares. $125.00 shipped. they are very nice. but these were for my h2
good luck on your hunt

Last edited by frankieboy; 05-20-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
A guy on one of the Hummer forums used some plastic garden edging (see link) and fastened around the wheel well opening. If you're looking for 'cheap' this might be the way to go. He posted some pics when it was finished and it didn't look as bad as you might think. You could always remove the screws and take it off if you didn't like it because the screw holes are on the underside of the well opening.
Vigoro 20 ft. Plastic Lawn Edging-VIG-20C at The Home Depot
Wow, never even thought of that?

Reminds me of 1 of those redneck jokes.... You might be a redneck if.......

The taillight covers of your car are made of tape.

Redneck Jokes -- You Might Be a Redneck If . . .

Seriously though for the low cost involved, and if you need to have it (laws, mudding, etc...), it could work... lots of supports & ss screws to keep them from warping, and cutting nice angles on both ends, could make them look nice... Not for me though...

Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 AM

You guys have come up with some good advice and ideas. I appreciate it. Good to know I'm not crazy for not wanting to drop $400 + on flares.