PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adventure questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Default Adventure questions

I posted this yesterday in New Members, but no luck. Maybe someone here can help me. Thanks in advance.

"Yes I tried the search LOL First, about the truck. I have a 2009 H3 Alpha Adventure. Primary purpose, Arizona off-roading. Rocks mostly, some sand.

Just ordered a set of 35" MTR Kevlars (I searched for 3 weeks to pick these, apparently they stick to rocks, clean well, float on sand, wear good on the highway and have kevlar sidewalls, which is good, cuz I tore a sidewall on the factory tires when I rented an H3T Alpha Adventure from Avis last year)

I have wheeled it stock 4 times, I wheeled stock rentals about 10 times but they were always T's Alpha adventure, but T's.

I love this rig. Ok Questions:

When I replace the shocks on the Adventure do I need to add the 2" of stock lift over a regular 3?

Does a regular leveling kit work or does it already have one from factory?

I read on the Superchips site you can adjust tire size with a flashpaq but read on here you can't and their site is a bit wonky, what is the real deal, what is my best option for a hand held that I can adjust speedo?

Has anyone made their hood deck vent functional? I'm thinking about slotting it out for better cooling, I overheated once in May.

What has everyone done for lighting off-road? I find myself wheeling in the dark nearly every time and it's kinda dangerous. Pictures please.

Thanks everyone! "

Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 8lug
I posted this yesterday in New Members, but no luck. Maybe someone here can help me. Thanks in advance.

"Yes I tried the search LOL First, about the truck. I have a 2009 H3 Alpha Adventure. Primary purpose, Arizona off-roading. Rocks mostly, some sand.

Just ordered a set of 35" MTR Kevlars (I searched for 3 weeks to pick these, apparently they stick to rocks, clean well, float on sand, wear good on the highway and have kevlar sidewalls, which is good, cuz I tore a sidewall on the factory tires when I rented an H3T Alpha Adventure from Avis last year)

I have wheeled it stock 4 times, I wheeled stock rentals about 10 times but they were always T's Alpha adventure, but T's.

I love this rig. Ok Questions:

When I replace the shocks on the Adventure do I need to add the 2" of stock lift over a regular 3?

Bilstein Hummer H3 Leveling Front Shock - F4-BE5-C153- - Suspension

Does a regular leveling kit work or does it already have one from factory?

Just jack up the front end and hit the T-bar bolt a few times.

I read on the Superchips site you can adjust tire size with a flashpaq but read on here you can't and their site is a bit wonky, what is the real deal, what is my best option for a hand held that I can adjust speedo?

Speedo will just be fine but look into a Bullydog Whichdog system to keep an eye on the import thing.

Has anyone made their hood deck vent functional? I'm thinking about slotting it out for better cooling, I overheated once in May.

Use the search bar please.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/functional-hood-vents-finally-done-28350/

What has everyone done for lighting off-road? I find myself wheeling in the dark nearly every time and it's kinda dangerous. Pictures please.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/rigid-industries-fun-28826/

Thanks everyone! "
here you go.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 AM

Thanks and I searched Hood deck vent mods, here and google, got a bunch of chrome crap advertisments. I guess functional hood vent would have been the search to make.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM

Wasn't aware the Adventure pkg. had "2" of stock lift over a regular 3"....

Old 09-20-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Wasn't aware the Adventure pkg. had "2" of stock lift over a regular 3"....
The shock is just valved different that's all.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:34 AM

Ok, All I knew was it sat higher, someone told me it was a 2 1/4" lift

Old 09-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome.

Originally Posted by SolidJJ
The shock is just valved different that's all.
...and a thicker piston.

Originally Posted by 8lug
Ok, All I knew was it sat higher, someone told me it was a 2 1/4" lift
Identical suspensions, different shocks and T Case.

You may want to go have a look at what I recently posted in the hood vent thread. IMHO the risk of problems cause by intrusion of the elements far exceed an immeasurable theoretical cooling effect.

BTW, when you say "overheated" can you be more specific?
If you mean my temp gauge was at or just over 3/4, go search those threads as well so you understand what that means and the multiple layers of overheat protection that are built into a 3.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:57 AM

No, I flashed overtemp and limped it, canyon crawling, 114 deg no wind. I'm looking at a fan upgrade too. My avatar pic was taken as I sat on top of that rock waiting for it to cool down. I put the hood up immediately afterwards.

I'll check your post out Doc but I don't see much rain in phoenix. I may fab up a slide louver to close it when it's not too hot. Also it's garaged 100% of the time it's not being driven. It's strictly a to the trail, over the trail, home unit.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Welcome.

...and a thicker piston.

Identical suspensions, different shocks and T Case.

You may want to go have a look at what I recently posted in the hood vent thread. IMHO the risk of problems cause by intrusion of the elements far exceed an immeasurable theoretical cooling effect.

BTW, when you say "overheated" can you be more specific?
If you mean my temp gauge was at or just over 3/4, go search those threads as well so you understand what that means and the multiple layers of overheat protection that are built into a 3.

Sorry to add that part of info, thanks doc.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Also I am concerned with speedo calibration. Does the Flashpaq have tire size recal?

Quick Reply: Adventure questions